HDhomerun that transcode output

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
msloat

HDhomerun that transcode output

Post by msloat »

I was wondering if HDhomerun had a device besides the Extend that transcoding outputs so my Nas drives doesn't have to work as much?

jasonl
Expert

Re: HDhomerun that transcode output

Post by jasonl »

No, and transcoding doesn't really change the "work" the drive does because it's just not that much of a difference. Transcoding was about making things easier for crappy playback devices that couldn't handle MPEG2 decoding. Enough years have passed since the release of the EXTEND that everything now has enough power to decode without breaking a sweat.

gggplaya

Post by gggplaya »

The extend makes recording file size much much smaller. MPEG 2 made huge files for tv shows, I had to transcode them down later to save space. Using the extend reduced file sizes alot.

Also, if trying to watch over wifi, for tv's that are too far away in your house and you only have wireless N 2.4ghz to those locations, the extend makes it much easier to watch without breaking up. It's still relevant today.

Though, I don't need it any more because I'm using a Plex server, which will transcode the output down as I need it.

msloat

Post by msloat »

My problem is I am using a ds418 as a server. Even though its new, it doesn't have the power to transcode on the fly and alot of shows will hang. Do they even make the extend any more?

msloat

Post by msloat »

Does the extend show avc channels and HD channels like the Connect?