Channel is missing when scanning with Quatro (v5) vs Duo (v3)

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
zetoune

Channel is missing when scanning with Quatro (v5) vs Duo (v3)

Post by zetoune »

Hi there,
I've upgraded my old Duo (v3) and I've replaced it with Quatro (not 4K) (v5).

One of the channels is missing when I scan with the Quatro. I understand the signal has to be shared between 4 tuners instead of 2 so it may be weakened, but I would not have expected the channel to be missing.

Scan with Duo
ch=auto:11 lock=8vsb:201000000 ss=81 snq=58 seq=100
Scan with Quatro
SCANNING: 201000000 (us-bcast:11)
LOCK: none (ss=84 snq=0 seq=0)
Is there anything I can do? (except returning the Quatro :P). I https://forum.silicondust.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=113&t=75002 with the DUO though. I'm waiting for the LTE filter. Could the interferences make a difference between both products?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Channel is missing when scanning with Quatro (v5) vs Duo (v3)

Post by signcarver »

Personally I wouldn't even begin looking at fixing issues on your VHF channel until you get a VHF antenna (there is a kit you can add to the one you stated in your other thread), but I always do recommend an LTE filter. There can also be other sources of interference (such as cfl/led bulbs, motors, etc) sometimes one may need to block the low end as well as the high.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

In addition to what signcarver said, the internal split for four tuners in the QUATRO is countered by a small internal amplifier. If anything, the QUATRO should perform better than the 3rd generation unit.

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

My antenna came with the VHF kit. It's weird but I had to remove it to get VHF channels. As soon as it's connected, I lose all VHF channels (and one UHF channel).
The only way I can get them is by misaligning the antenna by 30 degrees.
Same behaviour with an amplifier. The VHF channels are lost. So I guess they got over amplified because I'm close to the broadcast tower.

I'm sure that the QUATRO should perform better than my DUO but in that case, it does not ;-(

Changing the antenna is not a good option for me because it implies to climb on the roof which is not easily accessible. I'm surrounded by 3-floors buildings (and I'm at ground floor), so unfortunately, I cannot use an antenna at my level (even if I'm close to the tower).