How to explain that symbol error quality has started to fluctuate a lot after several years?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
zetoune

How to explain that symbol error quality has started to fluctuate a lot after several years?

Post by zetoune »

Hi there,

I've been using the same HdHomeRun Duo for the last 6 years. One of the channels in my area is on VHF band, but even if my antenna is UHF (I'm living not far to the broadcast antenna ~5kms), I never had any issues with it. With `hdhomerun_config`, `ss`, `snq` and `seq` have never been super strong but at least stable, i.e.: 75-80, 58-62, 90-100.
I almost never had pixelization on the channel.
The problem started to occur few months ago. Sometimes, I started to have a lot of pixelization, the audio cut out. It can last for few minutes to few hours then it comes back to normal. It can happen even without wind, rain or snow.
When it happens, `seq` can go down to 20. (other metrics stay the same).
I tried to realign the antenna, no luck.
Any idea what can cause that? Rust on plug? Cable?

Model: HDHR3-US
Antenna: Direct Antenna DB4e
Firmware: 20200225 (seems to be latest one)
Wired Gigabit Lan
Client: AppleTV 4

zetoune

Re: How to explain that symbol error quality has started to fluctuate a lot after several years?

Post by zetoune »

According to what I read from other forums, it could be because of the signal being over amplified.
I haven't changed anything since day 1. Moreover it's the weakest channel of all I get.
I doubt about it but could it be possible?

nickk
Silicondust

Re: How to explain that symbol error quality has started to fluctuate a lot after several years?

Post by nickk »

Two more possibilities...

LTE interference - Cell phones have taken over the upper part of the TV band and can result in over-driving the RF stage causing reception problems.

Power adapter - if the power adapter is failing it can result in reception problems before it fails completely.

Nick

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

Oh, LTE interference? That could be a possibility.

From their wiki page.
As part of a government program to reallocate 600 MHz frequencies to cellular services, involving frequency changes, the channel was changed from VHF 10 to VHF 11 (VHF-Hi-198 Mhz) on July 16th, 2020

I totally forgot about that. It could match with the beginning of my issues but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there anything I can do for that?

I don't think it's the power adapter otherwise it would happen with other channels? It only happens with this one.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

zetoune wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:27 am Oh, LTE interference? That could be a possibility.

From their wiki page.
As part of a government program to reallocate 600 MHz frequencies to cellular services, involving frequency changes, the channel was changed from VHF 10 to VHF 11 (VHF-Hi-198 Mhz) on July 16th, 2020

I totally forgot about that. It could match with the beginning of my issues but I'm not 100% sure.

Is there anything I can do for that?
LTE filter: viewtopic.php?f=113&t=74719

JDazell

Post by JDazell »

Purchase the Silicon Dust new filter on Amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-LPF- ... 317&sr=8-1

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

Unfortunately I cannot find it on Amazon.ca. (Edit: Amazon.com can ship to Canada)
My UHF channels are not affected by the problem, only the one I mentioned earlier which seems to be on frequency 198Mhz.
Can LTE interfere this frequency too? Or it's just around 600 Mhz?

I hope it can be installed next to the tuner. The antenna is on the roof and is not accessible until Spring :-(

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

zetoune wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am Can LTE interfere this frequency too? Or it's just around 600 Mhz?
It can. The interference comes from the signal being too strong and causing the RF amplifier to distort.
zetoune wrote: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:58 am I hope it can be installed next to the tuner. The antenna is on the roof and is not accessible until Spring :-(
Installing in front of the HDHomeRun is good.

Nick

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

Thank you for the help.

gggplaya

Post by gggplaya »

I tried installing a 608mhz filter right on my box, but that didn't work for me. I had to install it closer to the antenna, but mine's in the attic so it wasn't hard. However, my issues were on channel 36 which is at 602mhz. So it made sense that it would be LTE interference after the summer 2020 frequency repack.

In your case, you may actually want to get a band-pass filter because your problems are on VHF. It's more costly though, about $60: https://www.amazon.com/VHF-UHF-Band-Pas ... B081NR28J2

zetoune

Post by zetoune »

What does a "band-pass filter" do exactly?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

A band pass filter is basically a combination of a high pass and a low pass. It allows signals in between two frequencies through, but blocks those below and above that range.