ConnectDuo does not work with my antenna amplifier, what to do?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tangofan

ConnectDuo does not work with my antenna amplifier, what to do?

Post by tangofan »

Hi all,

I'm using a HDHomeRun Connect Duo (Model HDHR5-2US with firmware version 20200907) and I'm having problems with my indoor antenna, or more precise the antenna amplifier. I bought this antenna, which comes with an antenna amplifier, and it works fine directly on the TV, but using the amplifier with the Connect Duo doesn't work at all. It barely finds any channels when scanning and even for those that it finds the picture doesn't show. Without the antenna it works, but I'm still frequently getting audio and visual artifacts, so it seems that I need at least some amplification. (FWIW I'm in San Jose, California, but at the southern outskirts of the city.)

Amazon customers for that antenna do report that there are frequent problems with the amplifier (potential signal overload), so I'm wondering what to do:
  • Try a signal attenuator to make sure there isn't any signal overload? (If so, would something like this 3dB attenuator or this 6dB attenuator work or do I need something different?
  • Alternatively are there any good standalone antenna amplifiers (perhaps with variable amplification?) that are not too expensive?
  • Or finally should I try something different altogether? (I realize that an outdoor antenna would be best, but that is currently not an option.)
Thanks in advance for any advice on the matter.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Re: ConnectDuo does not work with my antenna amplifier, what to do?

Post by ebo »

Almost certainly the amplifier is sending too strong a signal to the HDHR, but if the signal is too weak without it then you should keep the amp connected but add an attenuator. First get a 2-output splitter and feed one output to the TV to see if it still gets the channels well. The splitter will drop each output about 3.5 dB so that might be enough for the HDHR but probably not. So add another attenuator in that leg. A variable attenuator would be useful but I didn't find many online. This one I found on Amazon should be OK if you don't mind that the shipping cost is higher than the price! It comes from the UK but that still seems steep.

tangofan

Re: ConnectDuo does not work with my antenna amplifier, what to do?

Post by tangofan »

ebo,

Thanks so much for your recommendation. Since ultimately I won't have a TV where the antenna is, I decided to forego the splitter and just ordered that variable attenuator. That was a great find!

Thanks again.