what's the frame rate on the homerun duo

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
nickk
Silicondust

Re: what's the frame rate on the homerun duo

Post by nickk »

Hi,

The HDHomeRun always delivers the framerate of the broadcast (same as your TV). In the US it will always be 59.94 frames per second for 480p/720p video and 59.94 fields per second for 480i/1080i video.

The client device is responsible for displaying the frames on the screen. The handling depends on the model.

What specific FireTV device do you have?

On some devices 1080i content is deinterlaced to 29.97 frames per second. We are looking at some enhancements using GPU acceleration to get 59.94 frames per second on devices that don't do full frame rate deinterlacing.

Nick

unrealdonald

Post by unrealdonald »

Hey Nick. I tried on many devices - my firestick 4k, my Apple TV, and my PC - all of those were with the HDHomeRun app. I also tried as a network discovered device on a 4k lg tv, and a 1080p Samsung tv. I also tried playing through Plex. In all these cases, it’s not a smooth picture.

On the other hand, when I feed the antenna directly into either of the two TVs listed above, the issue disappears. It’s a significant difference unfortunately.

I really wanted this to work, that’s why I tried so many different ways, but the hardware just isn’t delivering.

Maybe I’ll try the 4k version once you have it available in Canada - but I’m not going to order from the US as I’d it doesn’t work well it’s a pain to return from Canada.

If you need a tester in Canada, I’m available!

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Canada itself has no current plans to launch ATSC 3.0 services, but the Windsor area can now get ATSC 3.0 from Detroit, while Buffalo will be launching ATSC 3.0 in March which will reach Toronto, Oshawa and the Niagara Falls areas. Burlington (Montreal) and Rochester (Peterborough) are slated to get it this fall. Victoria, BC might be able to get reception from some of Seattle's channels with a deep fringe antenna, but the city of Vancouver is out of range.

unrealdonald

Post by unrealdonald »

That’s great, I had no idea an actual launch was pending. Hopefully the range is a little better for 3.0, my Tvfool for buffalo stations puts me just within range and occasionally (more often in the summer for some reason) I can’t get buffalo as clearly as in the winter.

My antenna needs a minor adjustment as well, but I’ll just wait till the spring. If buffalo is broadcasting in 3.0, hopefully the tuners are in Canada by then.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

TVFool is horribly outdated since it's stuck on a broken database from 2018, so it doesn't reflect the changes made with the repack and is missing many of the stations that entered into spectrum sharing deals. Its predictions are pretty much useless now since many of the Buffalo stations changed their tower sites and increased their power. Use the search at RabbitEars.info instead. Specifically it will be WNYO's RF 16 signal that will be converting to ATSC 3.0, and it puts out a semi-decent signal over the horseshoe area (Niagara Falls to Hamilton to Toronto to Oshawa).