HDHomeRun UK Tuning

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sinttesi

HDHomeRun UK Tuning

Post by sinttesi »

I am having trouble tuning my HDHomeRun for my location. I am located on the border between England and Wales, and as such my TV ariel can receive signals from the Welsh and English transmitters. I am actually based in England and only want to receive channels from the English transmitter as the signal should be stronger, provides news for my local area and are in my language!

This must be a common problem in the UK as our transmitters are regional but do overlap.

For all other tuners and TVs I would need to input my postcode/location so the tuner could scan the frequencies for my local transmitter, however this option doesn't appear to be available for HDHomeRun? Does this option exist? Or is there another way to restrict which frequencies are scanned? This way I could manually restrict the scan to the English transmitter.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

speedyrite

Re: HDHomeRun UK Tuning

Post by speedyrite »

As far as I’m aware, there is no way to input your postcode when tuning the HDHR.

I suspect that the tuner will only detect & save the channels found from the transmitter that your aerial (antenna) is pointed at and which provides the strongest signals.

That’s certainly the case for me here in North Yorkshire, where my aerial points to Bilsdale and the HDHR detects & saves the channels broadcast from there. But it’s also possible to receive (fewer channels and weaker signals) here from 3 other transmitters (Emley Moor, Pontop Pike, Belmont) if the aerial was to be pointed in different directions. However my HDHR does not seem to detect & save any weaker signals from other transmitters.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

If it is a concern, use software not dependent on the scan.

SD's software is 100% dependent on scan and when multiple channels have the same virtual channel number the one picked will be the one with the highest resolution then by the one with the highest signal quality. A highly directional antenna (aerial) may allow you to aim in another direction thus reducing quality so your desired channels may show up but that isn't always guaranteed (other parts of the UK have been known from time to time to get signals from France that are detected at a higher resolution thus those french stations get added. Also note that from time to time the device will auto-scan and the results may change your lineup.

They have stated at some point the firmware may be updated to support "region" but I wouldn't count on it any time soon so your best choice is to use software that isn't dependent on the scan.

sinttesi

Post by sinttesi »

Thanks for the replies folks.

I'm not sure why the Welsh channels are selected. The resolution should be the same (I believe this is only an issue with SD channels, however it's hard to check when HDHomeRun doesn't provide the channel frequency!). The Welsh signal should be weaker as my aerial is pointed at the English Mendip mast (using a compass), which is a different direction to the Welsh mast. I'm not sure if I could change my aerial to one which cannot receive the Welsh signal as both require a wideband aerial.

Annoyingly I'm trying to get this working with Plex, which just uses the channel information straight from HDHomeRun. I previously had this working using NextPVR which completed it's own scan which ignores the Welsh frequencies.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

sinttesi wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 pm I'm not sure why the Welsh channels are selected. The resolution should be the same (I believe this is only an issue with SD channels, however it's hard to check when HDHomeRun doesn't provide the channel frequency!).
If you're running Windows and you installed the HDHomeRun Software for Windows (not just the Windows 10 app), then you can run hdhomerun_config_gui.exe which is in the HDHomeRun program directory. You might want to put a shortcut to it on your desktop. You can select an actual channel to see what virtual channels are on it. If you are already watching a virtual channel and select that tuner in the GUI, it will show you which actual channel it's tuned to. It also shows you Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality, which are very useful when orienting your antenna (oops, sorry: aerial).

sinttesi

Post by sinttesi »

ebo wrote: Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:11 am
sinttesi wrote: Sun Feb 07, 2021 2:27 pm I'm not sure why the Welsh channels are selected. The resolution should be the same (I believe this is only an issue with SD channels, however it's hard to check when HDHomeRun doesn't provide the channel frequency!).
If you're running Windows and you installed the HDHomeRun Software for Windows (not just the Windows 10 app), then you can run hdhomerun_config_gui.exe which is in the HDHomeRun program directory. You might want to put a shortcut to it on your desktop. You can select an actual channel to see what virtual channels are on it. If you are already watching a virtual channel and select that tuner in the GUI, it will show you which actual channel it's tuned to. It also shows you Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality, which are very useful when orienting your antenna (oops, sorry: aerial).
That's an exellent top tip. I will play with the aerial and make sure it's in a good location (it's in the loft, it might be pointing in the right direction but that might not mean a whole lot!). Just need to make sure I pick the English channels! :lol: