HDHomeRun Connect 4K and Convert Video setting in PLEX

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
soothingvoice

HDHomeRun Connect 4K and Convert Video setting in PLEX

Post by soothingvoice »

I just setup my HDHomeRun Connect 4K with my PLEX server, and it was super simple. Thanks for making a great product.

When exploring the Device Settings I notice a setting, "Convert Video While Recording - Transcode". While this says it's experimental, I'd like more information as to what it's transcoding to? I tried a simple recording of a show and can see that the show is save on my NAS as a MPEGTS container file (.ts) with what looks to be an H.264/AC3 Codec. Yet, I wonder if this file can be transcoded into something smaller. I say this because a 13 minute recording is 1.1 GB. Please let me know if this Convert Video while recording is actually converting or if there needs to be another step in the process to shrink these files.

Thanks!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHomeRun Connect 4K and Convert Video setting in PLEX

Post by signcarver »

This has nothing to do with Hardware setup and troubleshooting of the device, only the extend actually has any transcoding and isn't what that setting is and though you said it is listed under device settings, it is a software setting. For things related to plex, the best source is from the plex forums but there is a 3rd party software section (NOT HDHomeRun software which is for SD's own software) here that one can ask questions pertaining to plex. Typically for more control you don't want to do it while recording but as a post processing job.

soothingvoice

Post by soothingvoice »

Thanks for the reply. I'd like to verify that this is not an HDHomeRun Connect 4K feature, and truly something that is only there because this is being setup on PLEX. That's the reason the post is in this forum.

As for the Extend, that product seems to be extremely difficult to find. This lead me to wonder if this setting I discovered is something that is new for the 4K?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

But this section is for hardware setup... nothing to do with software setup and plex would belong in the 3rd party software section if in this forum but you would be better off asking/searching for plex specific questions in plex's forum

It isn't new for the 4k... it is a feature of plex's software.