Streaming content affects HDHomerun recordings

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
yawlhoo

Streaming content affects HDHomerun recordings

Post by yawlhoo »

I have a HDHomerun Connect Quatro connected to a MythTV backend by means of a switch. The Quatro gets its IP address from a Edgerouter X router upstream of the switch, and I assume TV packets to be recorded are fed to the backend thru the switch. Also attached to the switch are streaming gadgets like a Roku, which gets its packets from the upstream router via the switch.

The system works well in recording TV from an antenna. But streaming content during TV recording sometimes results in "damaged" TV recordings.

I suspect the mingled traffic, TV recording + streaming content, thru the switch is the reason.

The switch is a Unifi gigabit switch, which should be pretty good, but I guess there might be better ones out there. I'm mainly using it for its POE ports, powering 3 Unifi wireless AP's.

1) Has anyone else seen this problem?
2) Would splitting the content streams fix the problem? For example, connecting the Quatro directly to the backend, so the TV content would not be routed thru the switch. Anyone try this, what the best configuration to pursue?

Thanks in advance for any helpful comments on my problem.

vonloschz

Re: Streaming content affects HDHomerun recordings

Post by vonloschz »

what is the MythTV backend performance (cpu/ram/hard disk) ?

yawlhoo

Post by yawlhoo »

The backend is an NUC 7CJYH/7CJYB, 2GHz CPU, 8G RAM, writing to a 2T hard drive on a USB3 connection, which is a repurposed Servio drive. It's able to record 4 simultaneous HD programs at a time, with no "damaged" recordings.

vonloschz

Post by vonloschz »

Do you have any qos / bandwidth throttling or vlan over the Unifi gigabit switch ?

yawlhoo

Post by yawlhoo »

No, it's set to stock settings.

I know fiddling with these sorts of settings (especially QOS) might (probably would) fix my problem.

I asked my question in this forum in the hope that someone had put such a configuration in play to fix such a problem, and would reveal their detailed fix.

yawlhoo

Post by yawlhoo »

I shifted the tuner and backend connections to open ports on the Edgerouter. My thinking is that this puts the steering of the TV packets under control of the Edgerouter, while the switch continues to do the steering of the streaming packets.

Obviously this is going to take a while to evaluate as a fix for "damaged" TV recordings.