DVR on HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
2000cam

DVR on HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Post by 2000cam »

I have a HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO with the DVR built in.
HDVR-4US-1TB

The playback of the recorded shows is blocky and stutters. Just enough to make it annoying.

This is on every Roku box I own. It is on the application created by SiliconDust for the Roku devices. Doesn't matter what what Roku I use, either in the Hisense TV version 55 build 20200504 or any Roku box new and older Ultra.

I thought it might be the hard disk on the HDhomerun but it seems to play fine on the Windows App on my PC.

It is both ethernet connected or wifi.

The HDhomerun app for Roku has just been miserable lately. Since Roku did some software upgrades. Every other app on the Roku system works perfectly and they are all streaming from servers on the internet. These are streaming from my house and are just miserable.

I have other issues that they all seem to blame on Roku, but it seems odd that it is JUST HDhomerun box.

Dissapointing. :cry:

NedS
Silicondust

Re: DVR on HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Post by NedS »

The HDHomeRun app is basically the only one on the Roku that has to deal with MPEG2 video, because that is how the TV signal is broadcasted in the US (for ATSC 1.0, that is). Other apps are able to control how the video is sent, what format is used, what bitrate is used, etc. A company like Netflix and Hulu are able to make specific video streams that they know will work on the Roku. We are not able to do this, because all of that is controlled by the local broadcaster in your area (and, more broadly, defined by national standards).

That being said, the issue with recordings and the Roku 9.4 update might be something we can tweak. Since live TV is still working, using the same format, that likely means there is something we can do to get recordings to playback smoothly. From what was explained to me, it's something to do with how the stream is presented from the DVR to the Roku. This is a slow process because the Roku video player is a bit of a black box for our developers (and for anyone except Roku), and we are not able to see exactly what the issue/error is, but our development team is working on it.

perrybl1

Re: DVR on HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO

Post by perrybl1 »

I have 2-Roku Ultras. I have the same issue on Recording Playbacks through Roku with my HDHomeRun Scribe Quatro.
The recordings playback very good on my Windows 10 laptop.
Thank you HDHomeRun for trying to resolve this issue as my Laptop PC is a 13" screen and my TV is a 52" screen.

I would like to add This from Roku:
"It is important to understand the available encoding methods and supported formats when streaming content on Roku devices. The following information will give you a good basis and help you choose the best options for distributing content based on quality and availability.

Roku officially supports the following media formats:

Video file types: MP4, MOV, M4V, MKV, WebM
Video codecs: H.264/AVC, HEVC/H.265, VP9
Audio file types: AAC, MP3, WMA, WAV (PCM), AIFF, FLAC, ALAC, AC3, E-AC3
Streaming protocols: HLS/CMAF, Smooth, DASH

These have been tested and/or are currently in-use. Other formats or encodings may be supported, but should be evaluated on a case-by-case basis."
https://sdkdocs-archive.roku.com/Audio- ... 37490.html

Hope this may help in some way.