Question about tuners

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
jas155

Question about tuners

Post by jas155 »

Hello all,

I have not yet bought one of these tuners, but I am strongly considering them. Can someone tell me if you have to pay some sorta subscription fee to use the DVR functions? I have a asustor NAS that I plan on using. Also any advice on which one to use would be appreciated. I plan to use it for watching local channels and to do a bit of recording as well.

Thanks

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Question about tuners

Post by NedS »

If you want to use our official DVR software, that costs $35 USD a year to cover guide data and development/infrastructure costs.

You can also use many third party options. The HDHomeRun is very open, and you can even save video using just a URL.

Live TV through our official app is free as well.

jas155

Post by jas155 »

So if I am using a Plex server on my NAS, would that require the subscription? Also what does the subscription actually offer. Not that I mind paying the 35, but if Plex is going to give me the same thing why spend the money. I do apologize I am just starting out with this type of setup.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

jas155 wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:41 pm So if I am using a Plex server on my NAS, would that require the subscription? Also what does the subscription actually offer. Not that I mind paying the 35, but if Plex is going to give me the same thing why spend the money. I do apologize I am just starting out with this type of setup.
If you're using Plex for DVR then there would be no need to buy the HDHomeRun DVR service. Plex does require a Plex Pass subscription for live TV and DVR. Most DVR options will charge something due to how guide data is handled and licensed.

jas155

Post by jas155 »

Ok thanks for that. I got a lifetime subscription for plex so I am covered there. So would I still use the app for the tuner or does it actually integrate with plex and i would just use plex for the guide? I found a apk for the DVR app to put on my asusstor nas but it doesn't look to me like it will work. And that could be because I don't have the tuner setup yet. I ordered it last night, I go the SiliconDust HDHomeRun HDHR5-2US Connect Duo Dual Tuner.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

There is a Live TV & DVR section in the Plex server configuration, and it will see the HDHomeRun and let you set up channels and guide listings and everything. Once it's all set up on the server, you'll see it in the Plex app on the various devices you're using.

jas155

Post by jas155 »

Thanks