HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO no OTA channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
johnwatchachang

HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO no OTA channels

Post by johnwatchachang »

HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO
Model: HDHR5-2US
Device ID: 106C48BA
Firmware: 20200907

I just bought an HDHomeRun Connect Duo. I recently attempted to setup it with an indoor antenna to get local OTA channels. I was not successful.

I then bought an amplified indoor antenna. Still not successful. No channels.

What do I need to get up and running with OTA channels. I just want to watch local News stations.

titantractor271

Re: HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO no OTA channels

Post by titantractor271 »

Were you getting local channels on TV with that antenna before? You can google your area for the transmitters in your area and then use a phone on your app to help you point your antenna. The sites which tell you the transmitters in your area will advise the distance also. If it's less than say 30miles, it should be easy, if it's more then you need a better antenna. At all times VHF/UHF are line of sight, so you can't be blocked.

How I got mine to work.. go to your browser and enter my.hdhomerun.com and then select the scan for channels. I did that multiple times as I pointed my antenna. I already knew I have a good location and I have about 61 stations. After I run a fresh cable to the attic and a second one for a different direction, I expect more stations. If I get into DXing, may add a unit without a hard drive and then turn on and off the antenna to rotate the antenna and search for more distance stations. Good luck, I hope you can get something... I am only a fan of this new system to me, I am sure the regular support team can give you better answers... I only had mine weeks so far. (hope I've not worn out the welcome... :) They are very helpful along with other fans.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

johnwatchachang wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 pm HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO

I just bought an HDHomeRun Connect Duo. I recently attempted to setup it with an indoor antenna to get local OTA channels. I was not successful.

What do I need to get up and running with OTA channels. I just want to watch local News stations.
Decent signal strength, but no signal quality. It could be a bad connection in the coaxial cable, but let's have you open a support ticket just in case we need to do any replacements or anything like that: https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/

johnwatchachang

Post by johnwatchachang »

NedS wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:20 pm
johnwatchachang wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:06 pm HDHomeRun CONNECT DUO

Decent signal strength, but no signal quality. It could be a bad connection in the coaxial cable, but let's have you open a support ticket just in case we need to do any replacements or anything like that: https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/
Hi Neds,

I just opened a trouble ticket.

Thanks.

@titantractor271 - This is my first purchase of any device like this. It is the first time I'm attempting to use this device. My house is layout like a rectangle with the strongest signal at the North. My TV and the device is at the South end. I may use the coaxial from the old Dish Network and attempt to get an outdoor antenna to try and get OTA channels.