are multiple network switches an issue?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
hammerash

are multiple network switches an issue?

Post by hammerash »

I have used HDHR Prime for years. My setup was a router, connected to 8 port switch. I had more cables than the 7 remaining available ports on switch so some were plugged into the other LAN ports on the router. One LAN line into my living room was connected to another 8 port switch. I would often use a cable plugged into this switch and run WMC on my laptop without issues. I don't know if the HDHRP and the cable going to the second switch were plugged into the router or the 1st switch? I bought a new 24 port switch but hadn't installed yet. The other day the power supply of the 1st switch went bad so I installed the new 24 port switch. I put all the LAN cables into the switch (none directly to router) and ran a jumper from router to switch. I have not used the laptop in living room for about a month. I tried it and I couldn't get WMC to work? The internet worked fine, said 1GB connection. Non DRM worked, but not great. Stuttering, stopping and and when changed channels often freeze. I searched and decide to run the digital cable advisor and reactivate cable card. Didn't help. Checked for update firmware. There was update, but I think HDHR software, not firmware. I took computer to different LAN cable (that didn't go through 2nd switch) and it worked fine. back to cable running off 2nd switch and won't work? Other things connected to this switch (2 slingboxes, security DVR, firetv stick) all work. The security DVR wasn't working, but I figured out that Verizon changed my IP address. I never set up static IP. I changed the settings to reflect the new IP address and it is now working. I don't think the change in IP address would be related to my HDHRP issues. Are there any know issues using 2 switches? I unfortunately don't know if both the HDHRP and the cable going to the 2nd switch were both on 1st switch in previous setup? Maybe one was on the router? That would be slightly different configuration. Any help appreciated.

hammerash

Re: are multiple network switches an issue?

Post by hammerash »

just wanted to add that I tried another computer. the laptop is win7. I tried a win10 tablet and used the HDHR app. non drm channel worked, but did seem a little laggy and not smooth. DRM said copy protection error. I then went to different lan cable that doesn't go through the 2nd switch and all channels including drm worked fine. so it is definitely something with either the line going to the 2nd switch of the switch itself. but strangely, like I said, other devices plugged in through the 2nd switch work fine??

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

High latency will cause an issue with DRM-restricted channels. There is a challenge-response component to the DRM that is used, a handshake between the PRIME and the client (in this case, WMC). I suspect that's the problem. The next challenge would be figuring out why there is more latency with this switch/configuration (assuming that is the problem).

hammerash

Post by hammerash »

I disconnected the cable running from switch 1 to switch 2, where it plugged into switch 2, and plugged it directly into the laptop. WMC worked, including DRM. so cable good and was looking like it was the switch. Then I unplugged the cable that I usually plug the laptop in to at switch 2, and used a connector to connect this cable to the previous one, thereby bypassing the switch. WMC didn't work?? I thought was it this last cable bad? I had switched it and it was the one that had been going to the security dvr. So I tried a different cable bypassing switch and it worked. So was looking like cable issue. then I tried the suspect cable again and I got it to work with connector. Then I got it to work through the switch. I don't know what issue was but seems to be working fine now. I don't know how I was able to use the internet with 1GB connection but WMC was not working? But all seems good now.

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

You can just PING your Prime tuner IP address from your PC and see what it is time it took. Anything over 7ms will break DRM IIRC. But for a home LAN, you shouldn't see anything over 1ms, let along over 7ms. FYI, I have 4 switches and still the PING time is <= 1ms.