Multiple antenna setups

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
titantractor271

Multiple antenna setups

Post by titantractor271 »

Hi,
I've recently purchased a "HDHomeRun SCRIBE QUATRO 1520267D - Version 20200907" and I am receiving 57 Channels (I do need some antenna improvement). I've been extremely impressed with the SiliconDust system and it's initial ease and setup. I chose this unit based on reading I could add additional units to the system knowing I have two main antenna directions I need to align to. One direction gets New York city/ New Jersey stations and the other gets northern CT stations. I would like to know how to I can add to this system so I can manage both antennas and have the DVR system work. I did look in the FAQs and searched the forum, but I could use a little help.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Multiple antenna setups

Post by signcarver »

It sounds like you are already expecting to use 2 antennas so just get another (connect, duo, quatro, 4k) tuner and connect it to the second antenna and your network. Just note that SD's tuners and software only allow for one station with the same virtual channel number so if you get a 10.1 in one direction and a different 10.1 in the other direction there will be some problems using SD's dvr and software you would want to disable one of them so you know which one it will be. Also if there are duplicates of the same station you may want/need to disable on the weaker tuner if it is below a desired level of quality for your viewing (some people are a little more tolerant to seeing occasional glitches).

Depending on your exact situation there may be ways to successfully combine the signals (most would have poorer results than separating signals) or possibly use a better omnidirectional antenna and get both markets

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:46 am It sounds like you are already expecting to use 2 antennas so just get another (connect, duo, quatro, 4k) tuner and connect it to the second antenna and your network. Just note that SD's tuners and software only allow for one station with the same virtual channel number so if you get a 10.1 in one direction and a different 10.1 in the other direction there will be some problems using SD's dvr and software you would want to disable one of them so you know which one it will be. Also if there are duplicates of the same station you may want/need to disable on the weaker tuner if it is below a desired level of quality for your viewing (some people are a little more tolerant to seeing occasional glitches).

Depending on your exact situation there may be ways to successfully combine the signals (most would have poorer results than separating signals) or possibly use a better omnidirectional antenna and get both markets
Thank you for the reply!!! I've never seen combining antennas being too successful, so I will not go that route. I am pulling a new clean antenna line to the attic ASAP and actually going to pull two at the same time. So if I was to buy another SD dvr unit, which would I like to add. I bought the scribe with the built in hard disk, would I want another scribe or could I get a unit to share the scribe... I was thinking of getting the two tuner unit for the northern signals, but not sure if I want the disk or diskless.... Any suggestions would be great and yes, thanks again for the reply.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

The scribe will work with any of SD's modern tuners (those with official names such as connect, extend, connect duo, connect quatro, connect 4K, prime and expand but not the old legacy tuners like the "dual") so you don't need another scribe though in theory the second scribe could give you an extra year of DVR service, I'm not sure how that is working yet (i.e. you may need to open a ticket and/or make sure SD verifies that is still the case but such was stated before scribes/servios actually came out/shipped to those already having the DVR and wanting to get one). Personally though if you want more space, I would install the engine on a NAS or computer so I am not certain the extra space and year of service is "worth" it but for some people it might be.

Discovery is done through subnet broadcast so everything should be seen that is on your network and if you were to get a second scribe if they see each other only one will (should) record the same program at the same time regardless of what tuner it is actually on (not sure if they still behave like the normal way of the engine with the most space would be the preferred device to record or if they are smart enough to prefer their own traffic).

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:53 am The scribe will work with any of SD's modern tuners (those with official names such as connect, extend, connect duo, connect quatro, connect 4K, prime and expand but not the old legacy tuners like the "dual") so you don't need another scribe though in theory the second scribe could give you an extra year of DVR service, I'm not sure how that is working yet (i.e. you may need to open a ticket and/or make sure SD verifies that is still the case but such was stated before scribes/servios actually came out/shipped to those already having the DVR and wanting to get one). Personally though if you want more space, I would install the engine on a NAS or computer so I am not certain the extra space and year of service is "worth" it but for some people it might be.

Discovery is done through subnet broadcast so everything should be seen that is on your network and if you were to get a second scribe if they see each other only one will (should) record the same program at the same time regardless of what tuner it is actually on (not sure if they still behave like the normal way of the engine with the most space would be the preferred device to record or if they are smart enough to prefer their own traffic).
I appreciate the insight. I am going to look into expanding the system with another unit once I can get a second antenna situated.

titantractor271

So I purchased a second Scribe to experiment with TV reception and add addition DVR storage space. I intend to bring it on/off line with some testing. Would there be any concerns I have with doing that? Will that confuse my main unit? Long term I intend to keep both and have the Antennas tuned in the two directions needed. I figured the buy the Duo as I get less stations to the North and thought if I needed any more tuners I would not buy the units with the Hard drives. If anyone has any suggestions I should consider, I'd be interested to read some ideas.

The one main question... How do I turn off tuners and where do I read more about that on the SD sites?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

You don't turn off tuners other than physically unplug or remove from network. You can disable channels on a unit if they aren't desirable (compared to other source).

It can take up to 2 hours for a recording engine to notice change of a tuner/engine being dropped as well as any changes of channels. My advise would be to keep both set up.

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:11 pm You can disable channels on a unit if they aren't desirable (compared to other source).
Thank you for the quick reply! (I am experimenting... :)

So I have my Duo setup (so easy these device) and I was able to receive 10 channels with a terrible antenna. I have better antennas, but I need to set that up. So how do I disable channels on a unit? I didn't find those instructions, but my guess is that I manually edit a configuration file. Where do I read about that?

I intend to get my second antenna setup and then tune the channels using the "hdhomerun_config_gui.exe" program watching signal strength. Any other suggestions on to proceed?

Please let me know.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Go to the lineup page of the tuner (probably easiest to click "channels" on the my.hdhomerun.com page). Next to the channel you would see a star... click it, it fills it in with a yellow/gold color that marks it as a favorite (few things actually use favorites but if you were to have an NBC station in one direction and another in the other direction, marking it as a favorite will control which channel number gets recorded from when multiple channel numbers have the same show on, not which tuner ). Click that filled gold star and it disables it (depicted by a red X). Click there again it changes it back to normal.

Usually there will be some channels seen by both tuners and if the quality isn't to your liking, you may wish to disable a channel on one of them. Also if for some reason you get 2 different stations with the same virtual channel number, you should disable one or the other as it can confuse the software as to what guide goes with which tuner. Keep in mind it can take up to 2 hours for the engine to reflect changes and with SD's software you have no control of which tuner is being used.

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:12 pm ... Click there again it changes it back to normal.
I missed this in the instructions. Thank you. quite easy. Over the next week I'll be experimenting with antenna directions.

titantractor271

These homeruns are quite a system. So my first experience is that after "X"ing all of the channels on my experimental DVR, I noticed that the system balances the recordings across the two DVRs. I am not quite sure how balanced, but the new DVR is starting to record. I am not sure how I balance storage except for downloading files. I have some questions if anyone does know the answers (this is all about learning dual antenna setups):

1) If I want to prevent one storage drive from being used, can I lock that drive for a period?
2) If I want to move recording files from one drive to another, is that possible?
3) Is there an API for the DVR drives?

Not urgent questions, but all about learning this system so I can maintain it.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Typically the dvr used is the one with the most space. With other engines you can set how many record streams it will handle (including 0) but I don't believe such setting is available on scribe/servio. You "could" remove the hard drive then it won't record but then why would you have bought the scribe.

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:11 pm You "could" remove the hard drive then it won't record but then why would you have bought the scribe.
Long term, I would not want to move the hard drive. During installation and changing things around, I'd like to prevent the system from using the new scribe. Is there a config parameter which removes the hard drive or do you mean physically remove it?

Until my antenna setup is optimal, I may want to move the scribe around and that would mean while it's offline, I may not be able to get a recording. I may want to move the unit to another house which would really confuse things as the reception would be different. The other house does have a cable system which transmits VHF/UHF so I'd be able to get more than the OTA stations. Would SD pick those up properly?

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

At the moment there is no way for the user to disable the DVR portion of a SCRIBE. This might change in the future, but the details and ETA are not known at this time.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

One can pull the drive