Multiple antenna setups

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
titantractor271

Re: Multiple antenna setups

Post by titantractor271 »

Thank you for the two replies. I really like the SD Homerun system...It's what I thought houses should have had for a VERY long time. :) I definitely wouldn't want to go the pull the drive route, as I'm sure that would invalidate support. I guess I could go into the router and block traffic to the box as an alternative. Though the shows I have on there would also be blocked. I am curious if I could pull the shows from the box without an internet connection on my local area network (LAN)... This is all curiosity as I'd prefer to have a well operating system and stay with everyone installing their systems.

I definitely appreciate everyone who's replied!

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

The way they should do it is allow setting of RecordStreamsMax... personally I would be ok if this isn't exposed to web interface but a value that could be set via hdhomerun_config. I know a lot of people who have seemed to have issues when recording 4 and would rather set it to 3 (that should not apply to you, and usually it is other network issues not the device itself) but also to disable by setting it to 0 makes sense (and I wouldn't mind for simplicity if the web interface had a disable that essentially set such to 0 but some may not wish such so easily exposed). But all that would require SD to make a new firmware available that does such.

As far as getting things off the drive, if only one or two, I would just download them (go to the recorded files on device web page, select which "series" and then select the file to download (depending on browser it may try to open vs save but most save). But whenever I need more than one or two files off a scribe/servio I pop the drive and attach it to a linux pc (or vm) as the 100Mbps ethernet is far too slow for such massive files in my opinion (fine for streaming).

But what were you planning on doing with it once you downloaded as though the file could be viewed by anything that can open the file, typically one would want it to be served to the hdhomerun app and if your only "engine" is on the other scribe you currently can't put it there (without popping the drive) as the only access to the files is to download not upload.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

titantractor271 wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:15 am I definitely wouldn't want to go the pull the drive route, as I'm sure that would invalidate support.
It's not something we encourage, just to stay on the safe side, but opening up the device on its own will not violate the warranty. All those "void if removed" stickers that various devices have are actually a bluff ( https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way ... re-illegal ).

If something breaks as a result of a user opening the device, removing a drive, replacing a drive, etc, then that will not be covered by the warranty (dropping something, shorting something out, snapping something off, etc). However, if you remove/replace a drive and then something breaks that is unrelated to what the user did, our warranty is still valid. You will be asked to return the original hard drive for warranty exchanges, so make sure to not lose the original drive.

The SCRIBE will even work with replacement drives, and we provide command line tools for formatting and SMART checks. Just make sure it's the correct size, be careful (as one would for a laptop or PC), and make sure the thermal pads are lined up correctly. We also wouldn't recommend using SSDs, as they tend to wear out a lot faster than mechanical drives for DVR use. Something rated for endurance/DVR/surveillance is strongly recommended.

When the drive is removed, the SCRIBE will function similar to a CONNECT model. Just keep the drive in a safe place.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

I like the idea of having something in the web UI (for all instances of the DVR software, SCRIBE/SERVIO, NAS, PC, etc). I will mention this to the boss.

titantractor271

Neds, I really appreciate the outstanding support SiliconDust provides. Thank you!

Great system!

titantractor271

signcarver wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 9:38 am But what were you planning on doing with it once you downloaded as though the file could be viewed by anything that can open the file...
The only thing I might do is to rebalance and put the recordings on one drive. Then I might take the unit to a second house for some experimenting (i.e. will it work at the other location). Eventually I'll get this house 100% and it will be fine the way it is. Right now all stations on the new unit are "X"-ed out and the drive is filling. (I am going to start another post on a potential problem I am seeing.)