HDHomerun Quattro seeing less channels after ATSC 3 was enabled

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
QuattroNoob

HDHomerun Quattro seeing less channels after ATSC 3 was enabled

Post by QuattroNoob »

ATSC 3 was recently enabled in my area, now the HDHome Run Quattro picks up a lot less channels. my.hdhomerun is also showing only 9 channels, whereas before, I used to get 30 channels. Nothing changed regarding the antennae. I am using the Quattro with Plex Server Version#: 1.21.1.3876

Any help with this matter is much appreciated.

Model: HDHR5-4US
Firmware: 20200907

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomerun Quattro seeing less channels after ATSC 3 was enabled

Post by NedS »

To enable ATSC 3.0 in your area means that the stations had to shuffle around what transmitters they were using. Typically, one or two transmitters will convert themselves to being the ATSC 3.0 stations for everyone, and multiple ATSC 3.0 channels will use those transmitters. The ATSC 1.0 versions of those channels that were originally on those transmitters then get shifted to other transmitters (possibly causing a decrease in quality if there isn't enough bandwidth with the original configuration), as they are required to keep transmitting in ATSC 1.0 for at least five more years.

In other words, they played musical chairs, but are sitting on each other's laps so that everyone still has a seat, while having more people playing the game.

Typically, this actually goes really well. The new ATSC 3.0 transmitters are using newer video codecs that allow them to maintain or exceed the original quality while actually using less bandwidth. A single ATSC 3.0 tower could provide 10 or 20 HD channels, while a single ATSC 1.0 tower would be considerably more limited (maybe 2 or 3 HD, and a bunch of SD channels), just as a very rough ballpark, YMMV, etc. However, this still changes the RF environment, and for some people that can mean less coverage than before, or it might just mean a minor adjustment to the antenna is needed.

Even in this summary I'm greatly simplifying things and likely leaving some stuff out, but hopefully that gives you a basic idea. Turning on ATSC 3.0 is a major change in itself, far more than just adding new channels.

So what does this mean for you? Let's find out:
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

QuattroNoob

Post by QuattroNoob »

NedS wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:13 pm To enable ATSC 3.0 in your area means that the stations had to shuffle around what transmitters they were using. Typically, one or two transmitters will convert themselves to being the ATSC 3.0 stations for everyone, and multiple ATSC 3.0 channels will use those transmitters. The ATSC 1.0 versions of those channels that were originally on those transmitters then get shifted to other transmitters (possibly causing a decrease in quality if there isn't enough bandwidth with the original configuration), as they are required to keep transmitting in ATSC 1.0 for at least five more years.

In other words, they played musical chairs, but are sitting on each other's laps so that everyone still has a seat, while having more people playing the game.

Typically, this actually goes really well. The new ATSC 3.0 transmitters are using newer video codecs that allow them to maintain or exceed the original quality while actually using less bandwidth. A single ATSC 3.0 tower could provide 10 or 20 HD channels, while a single ATSC 1.0 tower would be considerably more limited (maybe 2 or 3 HD, and a bunch of SD channels), just as a very rough ballpark, YMMV, etc. However, this still changes the RF environment, and for some people that can mean less coverage than before, or it might just mean a minor adjustment to the antenna is needed.

Even in this summary I'm greatly simplifying things and likely leaving some stuff out, but hopefully that gives you a basic idea. Turning on ATSC 3.0 is a major change in itself, far more than just adding new channels.

So what does this mean for you? Let's find out:
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.
Thank you for your help!

Device ID: 107313FB

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

From the diagnostics, this doesn't seem ATSC 3.0 related. Rather, something in the unit itself is having an issue. Please open a support ticket and reference this thread, and we will arrange for a replacement, if necessary: https://www.silicondust.com/support/trouble-ticket/

QuattroNoob

Post by QuattroNoob »

Just put in ticket #144366. Thank you!