Suddenlyl only getting certain channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
martin halstead

Re: Suddenlyl only getting certain channels

Post by martin halstead »

Ive got the same thing with Cox Tulsa. They started converting the channel in November. Now only the locals will play on the HD Homreun app. Cable card says its paired and authorized . The log shows that the channel was streamed, but no data comes over the network to the pc. I'm not trying record, just to watch live.

Cox gives the usual "everything is fine at our end" response.

Anyone found a work around yet?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

martin halstead wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 pm Ive got the same thing with Cox Tulsa. They started converting the channel in November. Now only the locals will play on the HD Homreun app. Cable card says its paired and authorized . The log shows that the channel was streamed, but no data comes over the network to the pc. I'm not trying record, just to watch live.

What does it say next to the Cable Card Validation? One of mine showed 'None' and I had to ask them to re-pair it but it took 7 times for the Data Host ID to lock.
Have you rescanned your channels?

brent20

Post by brent20 »

signcarver wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 3:55 pm Don't be surprised if it shows back up as last market they removed it from such only lasted a week before management had engineering switch it back as support and engineering had no right to do so. It may be best to not mention such.
Can you elaborate a bit more on what you know? I've already told Cox support that everything is "back to normal" and that I expect a full statement on the issue. It's not going to be good if they reverse this.... Who is "Management" because I'd like to write them a nice letter.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

Ya, that's the question, will they revert back to DRM. I've already fired up youtube tv and it's really not bad, except for fast moving sports, and I can use my OTA tuner to play/record that stuff. I was ready to cancel cable this week! I'm sort of surprised they reverted the DRM back, we'll see if it lasts.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 »

Cox in Santa Barbara has been using blanket DRM for years. I complained to the FCC and got a handful of local stations opened up, but all of basic cable is still copy-once.

I think it's only a matter of time until DRM is enforced everywhere, unfortunately. The reason they rolled back is likely due to the volume of complaints, but they will just send out more letters and work with TiVo customers to properly pair their CableCARDs so that DRM works for them before turning it back on. They don't care about HDHR users.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 »

If you want to complain: https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_fo ... ox-oc-land

I am in the new orleans martket and i am starting to see this rolled back. I had it locked down over the weekend and now the channels are coming back.

brent20

Post by brent20 »

tmm1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:33 am They don't care about HDHR users.
I understand the new ruling late last year makes this a bit of a challenge, but it's one thing to not like CableCARDs, it's another to treat existing customers differently. Whether I have a TiVo or not shouldn't matter. I wonder if that in it of itself is an issue with the FCC. Plus I wonder where the pressure is for these basic channels in the first place- all of a sudden in these 3 markets they're switching it?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

volfan6415 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:45 am If you want to complain: https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_fo ... ox-oc-land

I am in the new orleans martket and i am starting to see this rolled back. I had it locked down over the weekend and now the channels are coming back.
I'm in the NOLA market too (Metairie) and haven't taken a look at this but I will tonite. Would you mind sharing what channels you see coming back so when I do a channel scan tonite, I can compare?
I can say that I complained to deaf ears this weekend. I got some pity but nothing else.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 »

Beerman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am
volfan6415 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:45 am If you want to complain: https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_fo ... ox-oc-land

I'm in the NOLA market too (Metairie) and haven't taken a look at this but I will tonite. Would you mind sharing what channels you see coming back so when I do a channel scan tonite, I can compare?
I can say that I complained to deaf ears this weekend. I got some pity but nothing else.
TLC, TBS, BET, A&E, CNN, CST. CMEDY, BRAVO, CNBC, TCM, AMC, CN, SCI, AHC to name a few.

ALL of these were DRM completely this weekend. The only reason i even noticed it was because my daughter wanted to watch the saints on Nick and i attempted to fire that up in emby and was like hmmmmm why isn't this working.

tmm1

Post by tmm1 »

brent20 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am
Whether I have a TiVo or not shouldn't matter. I wonder if that in it of itself is an issue with the FCC.
The distinction is that when properly paired the TiVo can watch and record DRM content without issue.

With the PRIME, you can watch DRM using the HDHR apps on specific platforms only, and the only software capable of recording DRM is WMC.

volfan6415

Post by volfan6415 »

volfan6415 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:55 am
Beerman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:47 am

TLC, TBS, BET, A&E, CNN, CST. CMEDY, BRAVO, CNBC, TCM, AMC, CN, SCI, AHC to name a few.

ALL of these were DRM completely this weekend. The only reason i even noticed it was because my daughter wanted to watch the saints on Nick and i attempted to fire that up in emby and was like hmmmmm why isn't this working.

Just did another scan after the one this morning completed and watched HALL, HIST, FOOD and HGTV switch from DRM to HD. So they are changing something back in the new orleans market.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Yep, just completed the scan on 1 tuner and it's back as it was. I hope it was all the grips and calls to fix cable cards that got this going and they know not to try this again.
I can hope at least.

brent20

Post by brent20 »

tmm1 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:58 am
brent20 wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 11:46 am
Whether I have a TiVo or not shouldn't matter. I wonder if that in it of itself is an issue with the FCC.
The distinction is that when properly paired the TiVo can watch and record DRM content without issue.

With the PRIME, you can watch DRM using the HDHR apps on specific platforms only, and the only software capable of recording DRM is WMC.
I completely understand that. Only TiVO and WMC have gone through the CableLabs certification for CCI protected content. I was able to fire up my old WMC machine and was able to watch channels (without EPG data) while the channels had CCI protection set.

To that end though, it also does not work for SiliconDust's own apps either. So it would be nice if they could also talk to their friends at Cox as well.

martin halstead

Post by martin halstead »

Beerman wrote: Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:41 am
martin halstead wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:06 pm Ive got the same thing with Cox Tulsa. They started converting the channel in November. Now only the locals will play on the HD Homreun app. Cable card says its paired and authorized . The log shows that the channel was streamed, but no data comes over the network to the pc. I'm not trying record, just to watch live.

What does it say next to the Cable Card Validation? One of mine showed 'None' and I had to ask them to re-pair it but it took 7 times for the Data Host ID to lock.
Have you rescanned your channels?
I have re-scanned the channels All are now flagged "DRM" except the locals, which was not so before. . Here is what I have:

Card Manufacturer Arris/Motorola
Card Authentication success
Card Validation success
3DES encryption supported
OOB Frequency 110.250 MHz
OOB Lock 2.048 Mbps
Signal Strength 91% (-5.6 dBmV)
Signal Quality 100% (37.9 dB)
Channel List tuning-resolver

CableCARD ID: 000-077-948-182-9
Host ID: 064-320-561-332-3
Data: 275-176-881-67

UnitAddress: 000-00779-48182-111
Card S/N: MA1250ETP728
eCM MAC: Unknown
Host MAC: 00:18:DD:31:B6:0B
Host Type: One-way.

Still no response from Cox. Is there ANYONE out there in Oklahoman who can watch (not record, I have no DVR) non-localhannels on the HD Home run n app running under windows 10?

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

It's possible they've not fixed it in your area yet but I'd try unplugging the Prime and Tuning Adapter for about 20 seconds to reset them. Maybe even remove the cable card and reseat it though this shouldn't be needed.
Then wait about 10 minutes and rescan. It's possible you may have to access them to un-pair and re-pair them again.