Suddenlyl only getting certain channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Beerman

Re: Suddenlyl only getting certain channels

Post by Beerman »

I guess I just don't understand how things work. For some reason, there are still some channels that are NOT marked DRM that won't play. I assume it's because they are not showing up in the channel scan of the 2nd Prime. So my first question is, when using 2 Primes when one gets DRM and the other doesn't and you try to tune into a DRM channel, does it scan both tuners to see what's available?

I'm so spoiled!!!!! For years things worked so well. Then I got a NAS and life was even better. I was just about to cancel cable in December when I thought Silicon may never get DRM recording going so I opted for another year. Youtube TV is looking good to me.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Most likely if it is marked as DRM, it really is DRM protected and for the apps to work they must see such in the URL they use for example a regular channel plays by using the URL where # is replaced with the virtual channel number

Code: Select all

http://<ip-of-prime>:5004/auto/v#
while a DRM channel would look like

Code: Select all

http://<ip-of-prime>:5004/auto/v#?CONTENTPROTECTIONTYPE=DTCP1&DTCP1HOST=<ip-of-prime>&DTCP1PORT=8888
Without that extra code in there the streaming won't work as it will (eventually) get the bit that says the channel is DRM protected and then if not using protection the prime will have to stop transmitting when it finds out the channel is DRM protected. Since it isn't hard to fall back on the DRM URL I have often wished that the client "could" do so on it's own but it wouldn't surprise me if that would be violating some specification in serving protected content through DTCP-IP. Also though I don't think the prime would ever have/require it, it wouldn't surprise me if in the future things require DTCP2 particularly for 4K, HDR and 8K content so adding such into the client now may need to change once DRM support for ATSC 3.0 gets here (if ever).

To further muddy the waters, there was a case where a TA pointed to the DRM channel and the cablecard pointed to a copy freely channel and those with 2 primes and intermittent TA failure that was an extremely hard fix (best solution would be to disable the channel on the device that was most likely to be more unstable... note that if you disable it can take up to 2 hours for the engine to see such change unless you restart it)

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

Today's update: called Cox and gave them the card and TA info so they just fooled with that group since the other Prime is fine. They once again refreshed the TA and said the cable card is fine so after I hung up, I ran another scan and still only get 64 channels instead of the 435 or so I'm supposed to get. It finds no DRM channels at all. I guess it's back to the phones. Of course they want to send someone out but whats the use? It's definitely not something set up wrong here because I've done no changes. They did!

rosede

Post by rosede »

Beerman, I hope that you don't mind me piggy backing on your post, but I am having the exact same issue.

I have a single 3 tuner HDHomeRun prime box and I use NextPVR for the Live TV/DVR service. I came home from work only to find only local channels working.

I went through all of the troubleshooting steps on my end and everything looks good. The cablecard is paired and I can see where it attempts to tune into channels. I started a stream on three TV's, I and I could see where the thee tuners started streaming, but nothing on the TV's.

I Just called Cox and I got the same response you did, nothing to see here, all is good. Your cable card is paired and nothing wrong. After reading your post, I decided to run a scan (which it is now doing) and all channels are now labeled DRM, which they were not before. I don't know what DRM stands for. A quick online search and I see several postings with the same issue. Other cox customers in my area are complaining of the DRM label.

I remember getting a notice from Cox in November telling me that in December they would be making changes and if I couldn't get a special test channel they had setup, I would loose live TV. I wonder if this is the changes they're referring to? However, I was able to get the test channel, so I never thought much about it.

I too have been thinking of switching to youtube TV. This may be the reason to do so. I really like my setup here, but if this is Cox forcing me to switch to contour, then I'll drop live TV altogether and go with another service.

Daryl

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

I think I may be on my way now. Whatever Cox did last night caused me to read closely, the Card Validation info and everything was fine BUT the next to "Card Validation" was 'None' instead of success. So this morning I had them wipe the card info and start over. The guy was nice but told me that only this week has he done so many cards due to the upgrade that has been going on with Cox. He told me those with Motorola cards are the hardest because they have a Data ID while others don't (I'm not sure this is true but, whatever) so I gave me my CCID, Host ID and Data ID and it took 7 times to repair with the Data ID changing each time (plus unplugging the Prime for 10 seconds or so) and finally, it paired. Thankfully he was patient and wanted to learn more about the Prime boxes. You rarely get that at Cox today.

Now the only oddity I'm seeing is from the card that was working (mostly) the last few days. You can see from these screen shots 1 card had some channels marked DRM and the other has it marked HD. HD channels will not tune right away, I guess, it takes 15-20 seconds for it to search for the other tuner to tune into that channel as it shows DRM. And, if you switch back and forth between those same HD channels, it takes a long time. But, the card showing all the HD channels is fine and I see nothing in the screens to show it's not working correctly.
All this is somewhat mute because other than locals, I can no longer record anything. Thankfully, my wife is still letting me know we're keeping the Contour until we either cut the cord completely or we can record using the Primes (of course, those are going away too!)
So, call Cox and hopefully you can get a patient person like I did who was willing to try, try, try over and over until the card paired properly.

brent20

Post by brent20 »

Thank goodness I found this thread. Also having the exact same issues and I just got back from a second trip to the Cox store to pick up 4 new CableCARDs after the one that I have been using for at least 6 years suddenly had this issue starting about 6pm yesterday. After swapping out my tuning adapter first this morning (first trip to the store), I was still only able to pickup local channels (using VLC for testing) and the higher channels weren't playing. We re-paired the Card to the HDHRP and I ran another channel scan and I started to see the channel line up start changing indicator icons from HD to DRM.... and I'm a very worried now- I'm waiting on hold again to re-pair one of the 4 new cards I picked up and i'm hoping to get things back to normal.

(Using Plex by the way)

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

To view a DRM protected program you would need a platform that supports such. Most still use WMC windows 7/8 as it can both play and record those channels. Because WMC is no longer supported SD has added DRM support to their own app on Windows 10, Android, and iOS but whenever dealing with DRM protection a protected path must be ensured so there are many things that can break it even on supported platforms. Plex, Kodi, etc won't support DRM protected channels.

brent20

Post by brent20 »

Yes I think I’m in the same boat as beerman. All of a sudden it seems like Cox has set the CCI byte flag on all of it’s channels for me. I fired up my old WMC computer and verified this, I was able to play the DRM marked channels in WMC, but I’m confused beyond believe on what changed.

What’s weird is that the time this started happening for me was the same time the Cox CableCARD team was alerted to a major issue with TiVo devices where customers were going to need to call in and re-pair their cards. I can’t imagine how or why this is related, but it seems like something changed on Cox’s end and when I ran the channel scan, HDHR detected that all of the channels had the CCI flag set.

I hope to hear something from my escalation with Cox on Monday when their engineering teams are back from the weekend.

brent20

Post by brent20 »

Update: other Cox Customers are having the same issue with CCI being set all of a sudden: https://forums.cox.com/forum_home/tv_fo ... ox-oc-land

brent20

Post by brent20 »

@Beerman would you also mind posting to that Cox thread? I have that raised to the CableCARD tech who was helping me and she had another call today with this issue and is escalating this issue to her supervisor tonight.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

brent20 wrote: Sat Jan 09, 2021 5:57 pm @Beerman would you also mind posting to that Cox thread? I have that raised to the CableCARD tech who was helping me and she had another call today with this issue and is escalating this issue to her supervisor tonight.
Sure, be glad to.

rmalbers

Post by rmalbers »

I replied to your COX forum post, I'd just like to know if this change was on purpose and won't be changed back or if some clown just made a mistake.

Beerman

Post by Beerman »

rmalbers wrote: Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:29 am I replied to your COX forum post, I'd just like to know if this change was on purpose and won't be changed back or if some clown just made a mistake.
My gut is telling me this is the way forward. It's been this way in other parts of the country for more than a year and I don't see them backing off. As my 2 cable cards die off and likely can't be replaced, I see how the 2 Primes will become museum pieces in the coming years. But, I had a great ride!

Trewest

Post by Trewest »

Running channel scan now on the HDHR. Looks like DRM has been removed.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Don't be surprised if it shows back up as last market they removed it from such only lasted a week before management had engineering switch it back as support and engineering had no right to do so. It may be best to not mention such.