HD HomeRun PRIME and Verizon FIOS - DRM Problems

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mickelsn
Device ID: 13245235

HD HomeRun PRIME and Verizon FIOS - DRM Problems

Post by mickelsn »

First-time user of an HDHomeRun here...nice device! Too bad the 6-tuner device won't ever happen, but so be it...

I just installed a new HD HomeRun PRIME and CableCard so I can dump my rental Verizon FIOS set-top boxes. Overall, things went pretty well -- no fight at all from Verizon in shipping me a CableCard, HDHomeRun installed easily, CableCard recognized by the box fine. Automatic activation of the card didn't work, but I was able to work with a knowledgeable Verizon tech who walked through activation and troubleshooting. We got the card activated, executed a channel scan which found 558 channels (777 if I use the "?show=all" flag at the end of the lineup.html page URL), and I'm able to watch TV just fine via the HDHomeRun app (Mac and iOS versions) and via Plex.

The problem I'm having is with the DRM-encoded channels on FIOS -- anything from the Fox and HBO networks. All of these channels are properly showing in the channel list with a DRM icon, and the tech I was working with expected to have to do a bit of extra setup work on his end. Unfortunately, even after about 30 minutes of setup work including some commands to the CableCard to change the Data ID on the card...those commands worked, but we couldn't get the DRM channels to work.

Searching these forums, I found this post which seems to indicate there might be a problem with the latest HDHomeRun Prime firmware and DRM channels on FIOS. I'm running firmware version 20200907 which appears to be the latest version. Has there been any identification of a problem with this firmware?

I'm happy to do some additional troubleshooting if it will help. And I still have an open case with Verizon to try and get this fully working. Thanks for any help you can provide.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HD HomeRun PRIME and Verizon FIOS - DRM Problems

Post by signcarver »

Of what you mentioned, only the hdhomerun app in iOS can view (also hdhomerun app on win 10 and android and wmc on windows 7/8)

Though iOS (win 10, android) can work there are additional requirements.

mickelsn
Device ID: 13245235

Post by mickelsn »

Thanks for the reply. As it happens, playing DRM content (Fox channels and HBO channels) through the iOS app didn't work last night but is now working :D ...Verizon might have been able to get something paired, I don't know. The macOS app still doesn't play DRM content. I get an "Unable to play channel: Failed to connect Not connected" error message. I haven't checked on Win10 yet.

So it seems things are now working as expected...hopefully I'll be able to confirm that on Win10 shortly...

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

No known issues with PRIME firmware at the moment. DRM issues tend to be something happening on the client side, such as location permissions not being set for iOS or Android, display hardware issues (bad cables, wrong monitor port, etc), old app version, etc.