Changing a cable card from Ceton InfiniTV to Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
crarbo1

Changing a cable card from Ceton InfiniTV to Prime

Post by crarbo1 »

I will be getting a Prime soon and wanted to know what I needed to do when I get it. Will I need to activate my cable card again? Wasn't sure if it was tied to my Ceton device or if I could just swap them out.

Thanks,
Chuck

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Changing a cable card from Ceton InfiniTV to Prime

Post by NedS »

Yes, the CableCARD and the PRIME will need to be activated as a set with the cable company, even if the CableCARD had been used before in another device.
  1. Go to http://my.hdhomerun.com and click on your HDHomeRun PRIME's device ID
  2. Click on "CableCARD Menu"
  3. Click on "CableCARD Pairing"
It will show a phone number for your cable provider and contain the numbers that they need to finish the pairing.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

NedS,
Thanks for that clarification. I was hoping I wouldn't have to do that.

Also, you mention a phone number, I am with Xfinity and they actually have a website to activate it now, can I do that instead?

Thanks,
Chuck

stuartm

Post by stuartm »

I would give the website a try. If it doesn't do the job, then you may need to call Xfinity/Comcast support. I have seen reports from others that the website worked for them.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

It doesn't hurt to try the website first, but even I've had to call them on the phone in the last few years with my Comcast/Xfinity service to reactivate a card.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

Thank you both for that information. I guess I will give it a go once I get my new Prime in a few days.

socalman

Post by socalman »

I recently pulled my CC from my FiOS backup STB and stuck it into my 3rd prime without needing any re pairing. In the past I've swapped around CC's with different primes. Come to think of it, I've never needed to call because I'd just stick them into STB and do sys update. Maybe it's a FiOS thing...

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Its a motorola/non-drm thing... such would not work for any drm protected channels.

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

NedS,
I just got my Prime today and when I go to CableCard Menu, there is no CableCard Pairing option. Any idea why?

Thanks,
Chuck
NedS wrote: Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:11 pm Yes, the CableCARD and the PRIME will need to be activated as a set with the cable company, even if the CableCARD had been used before in another device.
  1. Go to http://my.hdhomerun.com and click on your HDHomeRun PRIME's device ID
  2. Click on "CableCARD Menu"
  3. Click on "CableCARD Pairing"
It will show a phone number for your cable provider and contain the numbers that they need to finish the pairing.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

What is in that menu?

The last person that mentioned that wasn't getting a menu selection and typically it means the card isn't an mcard, isn't inserted all the way/correctly (don't just blindly flip it but some have managed to inserted upside down but more common is not all the way... there are pins that can be bent so don't go too hard but often there is an "extra" push). or it is a bad card (turned out for them to be bad card).

What does the cablecard page say as it may be another option (don't take things so literally). For instance a cisco card will often state "Cisco CableCARD/Host ID Screen" (the menu choice you want is one that either mentions pairing or Host ID or something to that effect) by the way the current phone number on my cards currently state "Ph# Please Call COX Comm" rather than an actual phone number like they used to (not sure when that change was made).

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

signcarver wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 3:38 pm What is in that menu?

The last person that mentioned that wasn't getting a menu selection and typically it means the card isn't an mcard, isn't inserted all the way/correctly (don't just blindly flip it but some have managed to inserted upside down but more common is not all the way... there are pins that can be bent so don't go too hard but often there is an "extra" push). or it is a bad card (turned out for them to be bad card).

What does the cablecard page say as it may be another option (don't take things so literally). For instance a cisco card will often state "Cisco CableCARD/Host ID Screen" (the menu choice you want is one that either mentions pairing or Host ID or something to that effect) by the way the current phone number on my cards currently state "Ph# Please Call COX Comm" rather than an actual phone number like they used to (not sure when that change was made).
I have no idea what was in that menu, that is why I was asking. However, my card may be paired as it is finding channels in the scan. I took it out of the Ceton tuner I had and put it in the prime and tried the online activation through Xfinity. It said there was a problem during that process but maybe it actually worked. Not sure what screen to check to see if it is paired or not.

Thanks for replying,
Chuck

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

When you go to the device's web page (you may have clicked the wrong spot if using my.hdhomerun.com and went to it's lineup page), but on the main page click CableCARD Menu as the top of that gives a bunch of links from the card (that is why the wording may be different as it comes from the card) that gives a list of status pages from the card. For instance a Cisco card may say the following with each being a link.... the key words to look for are generally Host or Pairing.

HDHomeRun PRIME
CableCARD™ Menu
Cisco CableCARD CA Screen
Cisco CableCARD/Host ID Screen
Cisco CableCARD IP Service
Cisco CableCARD DAVIC Info
Cisco CableCARD CP Info
Cisco CableCARD Diag Screen
Cisco CableCARD ASD Info
Cisco CableCARD DSG Info
Cisco CableCARD CANH Screen

The above would be in the cablecard menu area of the cablecard menu page while below that is the status area.

Just because you get channels doesn't mean it is paired

crarbo1

Post by crarbo1 »

signcarver wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm When you go to the device's web page (you may have clicked the wrong spot if using my.hdhomerun.com and went to it's lineup page), but on the main page click CableCARD Menu as the top of that gives a bunch of links from the card (that is why the wording may be different as it comes from the card) that gives a list of status pages from the card. For instance a Cisco card may say the following with each being a link.... the key words to look for are generally Host or Pairing.

HDHomeRun PRIME
CableCARD™ Menu
Cisco CableCARD CP Info
Cisco CableCARD ASD Info
Cisco CableCARD DSG Info

The above would be in the cablecard menu area of the cablecard menu page while below that is the status area.

I do have a Cisco card and those options look the same.
Where do I go to see if it is paired or not?
If I can view the channels and record them, why would I need to get it properly paired if it is not already paired?
Sorry for the questions but I got those cards working a very long time ago in the PCIe Ceton tuners and have never moved them, so this is new to me.

Thanks,
Chuck

Karter

Post by Karter »

crarbo1 wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:34 am
signcarver wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:55 pm When you go to the device's web page (you may have clicked the wrong spot if using my.hdhomerun.com and went to it's lineup page), but on the main page click CableCARD Menu as the top of that gives a bunch of links from the card (that is why the wording may be different as it comes from the card) that gives a list of status pages from the card. For instance a Cisco card may say the following with each being a link.... the key words to look for are generally Host or Pairing.

HDHomeRun PRIME
CableCARD™ Menu
Cisco CableCARD CP Info
Cisco CableCARD ASD Info
Cisco CableCARD DSG Info

I do have a Cisco card and those options look the same.
Where do I go to see if it is paired or not?
If I can view the channels and record them, why would I need to get it properly paired if it is not already paired?
Sorry for the questions but I got those cards working a very long time ago in the PCIe Ceton tuners and have never moved them, so this is new to me.

Thanks,
Chuck
I have X-finity (Comcast) and they have gotten pretty good in dealing with Prime over the past years.
Just call support and they should be able to walk you right through it.