New User Question: Can I use both a Prime and Quattro OTA

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Jamram109

New User Question: Can I use both a Prime and Quattro OTA

Post by Jamram109 »

Good morning,

I know it sounds weird, but some of the OTA channels are not offered by my provider (Spectrum). Most of my family’s viewing habits include mainly OTA and Netflix/Hulu/Disney+. Cable channels are last but still nice to have when needed.

I would like to manage both as one giant multi-receiver, one DVR solution, one Guide listing all channels.

This will be on 2x Nvidia Shield (2 TV clients, server hosted on a always-on windows machine), plus random iOS tablets/phones in the house as needed.

Also, I’m sure this has been asked but wondering the status on DRM recording using the HDHR app on the Shields.

Thanks in advance,

Jaime

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New User Question: Can I use both a Prime and Quattro OTA

Post by signcarver »

Most apps have very little to no problem with having both (plex's dvr is about the only thing that comes to mind as something that had trouble with "multiple" lineups but don't know the current state of that)

Typically most solutions will combine the lineups into a bigger lineup so if you get cbs on 5 (or 1005) on cable you would typically get 5.1 for the channel number in your OTA lineup (essentially putting them right next to each other in the guide in the case of 5 and 5.1) as far as recording goes, typically the DVR will choose one or the other to make the recording (not both), often choosing to use OTA first to keep the cable tuners free but that can vary by program as well including how easy it is to prefer one or the other.

DRM recording will get here when it gets here and there probably won't be any updates on that until it happens or they decide to abandon it... since ATSC 3.0 may also require handling of DRM it makes sense that SD should continue working on such (i.e. a competitor's ATSC 3.0 tuner box is supposedly coming in a month or two and they eventually expect to offer a network storage option for it... supposedly for live it already handles protected/encrypted ATSC 3.0 programming). The latest update stated they continue to work on it and the update before that (with any additional information) stated it might require a scribe or servio to implement (at least at first) to ensure protection is maintained.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

I have used a Prime and an OTA in the same DVR for 5 years. But that means Windows 7 Media Center + EPG123 until DRM recording comes to HDHR DVR.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I recently added the 4k tuner to my HD HomeRun set up with win7 and WMC like mentioned because it fully supports the cable pay channels I used to have. Once I got it to scan the Ota stuff it sees both but I still use cable only for now as nobody here is actually broadcasting 4k get but is using HEVC so no sound with most older gear yet.
I can record fine with the DVR so there are options that work beside WMC if you need it.

supertester

Post by supertester »

I have 2 EXTENDs, Plex running on an intel NUC and all is well. I bought a Servio hoping I will be able to configure it as a storage device for my setup. I am unable to configure the Servio. Tried the HDHomerun Windows software on a laptop and it does record the shows on the Servio but I dont know how to mount this drive on the NUC. Tried to NFS mount <Servio_IP_Address>:/media/HDHomeRun/ but it does not mount . As per Silicondust's websites, the Servio is supposed to work with Plex What am I missing?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

supertester wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 pm I have 2 EXTENDs, Plex running on an intel NUC and all is well. I bought a Servio hoping I will be able to configure it as a storage device for my setup. I am unable to configure the Servio. Tried the HDHomerun Windows software on a laptop and it does record the shows on the Servio but I dont know how to mount this drive on the NUC. Tried to NFS mount <Servio_IP_Address>:/media/HDHomeRun/ but it does not mount . As per Silicondust's websites, the Servio is supposed to work with Plex What am I missing?
You are not missing anything... other than popping the drive, the only way to get a recording off the drive is via http (retrieve the recorded_files.json, retrieve the one for the show you want, get the playurl) and there is no way of putting anything on it other than via the DVR doing the recording (again you can pop the drive, mount it with something that supports xfs and manipulate the files as you please then put it back... anytime I need to do something with more than 2 shows that is what I do as it is much faster than downloading the 2 shows via 100Mbit ethernet).

They are looking into a future firmware upgrade that may make it more accessible but last I heard one of the things they were thinking of often wouldn't serve files bigger than 4GB which nearly any recording is (though with an extend that might be more doable so most likely they scratched that).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

supertester wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:21 pm As per Silicondust's websites, the Servio is supposed to work with Plex What am I missing?
I am unaware of such a claim on our website, or in any statement from us. We have indicated that we are looking into adding network file sharing support in a future update, but there is no ETA or firm plans for that.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

The claim is from the statement on one of the servio sheets about tuners working with other platforms but the servio isn't a tuner and even though a scribe can work with plex, such would be a waste for plex compared to just getting a tuner.

Dartman

Post by Dartman »

I picked up a USB3 dual drive external enclosure. I keep one of my big 4tb drives I found cheap in it and it can copy one drive to another automatically or just have 2 drives of any size in it to use. I also pull problem drives or put new ones in it to copy, repair, or format. Might be a good option for him or others here.