Signal Strength on ALL channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
salsaguy

Re: Signal Strength on ALL channels

Post by salsaguy »

Thanks for the info JDazell
Still doesnt work on command line even running as admin
I noticed the HDHomerun_config.exe has a 0 bytes file size is that correct?

I CAN run the gui version though and see the strength for each manually selected channel
but a full report in one opage would be nicer

I typed it exactly
will continue to mess around

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

If it's 0 bytes then you managed to overwrite it with one of the commands you ran, which is why you should not run things as administrator unless they absolutely require it (which hdhomerun_config does not). Re-run the HDHomeRun software installation program and choose the Repair option to replace the file. Then, in a normal command prompt, run the command from your user directory but specify the path to the hdhomerun_config program, like so:

Code: Select all

"%programfiles%\silicondust\hdhomerun\hdhomerun_config.exe" scan /tuner0 tuner0.txt
This will save the tuner0.txt file in your user directory, which doesn't require administrator rights, instead of to the HDHomeRun directory, which would.

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

@salsaguy

After you get the Windows software re-installed/repaired and have a working copy of hdhomerun_config_gui.exe in the install directory (default is C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun), instead of using a command line, just double-click that thing. Voila! you've got a GUI (that's why we are using Windoze here). :lol:

In the left-hand pane of the Config GUI you will see that it defaults to selecting the port named "Tuner0" on your SiliconDust device. If no other device on your network is watching or recording on that port then just leave it selected for now; otherwise just select a different tuner port.

In the main pane of the GUI you will see a "Tune" section. For those of us in the U.S. it should default to Channel 0 for "us-bcast". These are the actual RF channel numbers (not the "virtual" numbers used with Digital TV). Just click the ->> (forward arrow) to auto-step to each channel that was detected when you ran the "HDHomeRun Setup" program. (If you never did that then go to that shortcut in your Start menu and get that taken care of first!)

For those of us in the Los Angeles area, as you click through these channels you may start to see Status bar feedback at RF channel 4 for KWHY (virtual channel 22). AFAIK this the last channel in the L.A. market that still operates on the Low-VHF band. (In my case reception is crappy because my Winegard Freevision antenna is not tuned for Low-VHF.) Keep clicking forward to RF channel 7, which is KABC-DT. You can click the Program pull-down menu to select virtual channel 7.1, 7.2, or 7.3 (or KRCA-DT virtual channels 62.1 or 62.2, which also broadcast on RF channel 7). Keep clicking forward to get to RF channel 9 (KCAL-DT), then RF channel 11 (KTTV-DT), and then RF channel 13 (KCOP-DT). All of these stations are in the High-VHF band and use the same base virtual channel number as their RF channels. You should be seeing green Status bars for Signal Strength, Signal Quality, and Symbol Quality for all these stations. Terms are defined here:

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... th_quality
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomer ... l_strength

This is definitely the easiest way to check overall signal strength for your DTV setup. If you aren't seeing good figures for the High-VHF channels in our L.A. market then try revisiting your antenna or cabling (see my reply to your post on the "LPF-608M LTE FILTER" thread for my feedback on that).

Hope this helps!

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

salsaguy wrote: Thu Dec 31, 2020 9:31 pm I CAN run the gui version though and see the strength for each manually selected channel
but a full report in one opage would be nicer
Ha! Sorry, just now saw this post from you... Anyway I will leave my long-winded post above on how to use the GUI as-is. Hopefully something there will still be helpful to you or someone else.

BTW, for KABC-TV I am seeing 84% Signal Strength and 100% Signal and Symbol Quality using the Freevision antenna setup that I described here and elsewhere.

I would be curious to see what the FCC DTV maps say to expect for reception in your area:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

If you don't mind posting your Zip code here then please go ahead and do that. Thanks...