Verizon FIOS Router Throttling HDHR Prime

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
WilkyF18

Verizon FIOS Router Throttling HDHR Prime

Post by WilkyF18 »

When connected through my Verizon G1100 Router, channel streams from the HDHR Prime to a Living Room Apple TV are being throttled. Streaming rate drops from 13-14 Mbps to 1-2 Mbps 2-5 minutes into start until reset. Using the "Channels" App on the Apple TV to view streams.

Interestingly enough, the Windows 7 HTPC that follows the same network path through the Verizon G1100 does not get throttled. Streaming rate stays a consistent 13-16 Mbps. Also, two other AppleTVs on the same network, but not directly attached through the Verizon G1100 have no issues as well, even though the two switches are connected through the Verizon router???

Ruled out the Living Room AppleTV itself by using one of the other AppleTVs in its place, same throttling issue. Ruled out all cabling, by using other known good Cat6 cables.

By passing the Verizon G1100, and connecting the "Living Room AppleTV" directly to the "Closet Switch" solves the throttling issue. Also tried different LAN ports (port 2 vs port 3) on the Verizon G1100, same throttling.

Network diagram attached.

WilkyF18

Re: Verizon FIOS Router Throttling HDHR Prime

Post by WilkyF18 »

Did more troubleshooting last night. It is ONLY the HDHR PRIME that has the macro blocking and throttled bitrate when connected through the Closet Switch then the Verizon G1100 to the LR AppleTV. In this image you can see the macro blocking and the frame rate is down to 1505 kbps, roughly 15-20 seconds into opening the stream.

However, if streaming from the HDHR CONNECT that is connected to the FROG Switch then to the G1100 then to the LR AppleTV it plays fine.

The HDHR PRIME plays fine to the MB AppleTV and the GR AppleTV. The image below is the HDHR PRIME connected to the Closet switch that then goes to the G1100 that then goes to the FROG Switch that the MB AppleTV is connected to, no issues.

Finally, as a mentioned in the original post if I run a Cat6 cable direct from the Closet Switch to the LR AppleTV (bypassing the G1100), it fixes the macro blocking and loss of signal. However, every about 25-30 minutes the video pauses and the Total Cache builds up to about 45-55 seconds and then the video resumes. I also noted the large number of Dropped Frames.

Finally, removed the ethernet cable and ran the LR AppleTV over WiFi. Stream plays fine on LR AppleTV over WiFi.

Other troubleshooting:

Change Video Driver to 'Experimental': no video at all

Changed Audio Driver to 'Experimental': same macro blocking and throttled bitrate

Changed AppleTV "Match Output Frame Rate" to On and Off: same macro blocking and throttled bitrate in either setting

Used the new HDHR App on the Apple TV instead of Channels App: same macro blocking and throttled bitrate

In addition to the MB and GR AppleTVs that play fine, opened streams on a laptop and iMac using HDHR app: all play fine

This is driving me nuts. I do not understand why when the LR AppleTV is hardwired to the G1100 the stream from he HDHR PRIME will not play?!

socalman

Post by socalman »

I had some strange issues like this before, wasn't effecting all channels, mostly Bloomberg. I have 3 prime boxes (Soon 4), this would happen randomly on any box. I couldn't watch Bloomberg on any client the same time without it doing same as your photo.

Was having other network issues and needed upgraded WAPs, firewall... FiOS router isn't a proper firewall. After I setup my new Netgate SG-1100 firewall (pfSense/pfBlockerNG) and some Unifi WAP's, I haven't had that issue.

shawn_75
Device ID: 151032EF

Post by shawn_75 »

That router seems to respect QoS. Have you done any QoS configurations on the router or your other switches? My guess would be that the router is screwing up QoS prioritization.

WilkyF18

Post by WilkyF18 »

socalman wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:40 pm I had some strange issues like this before, wasn't effecting all channels, mostly Bloomberg. I have 3 prime boxes (Soon 4), this would happen randomly on any box. I couldn't watch Bloomberg on any client the same time without it doing same as your photo.

Was having other network issues and needed upgraded WAPs, firewall... FiOS router isn't a proper firewall. After I setup my new Netgate SG-1100 firewall (pfSense/pfBlockerNG) and some Unifi WAP's, I haven't had that issue.
I plan to go all Ubiquiti Unifi when I move in a couple of years, but for now, in this house, I want to keep whats "almost" working. The G1100 has been rock solid for WiFi, I have almost 80 wireless clients (lots of smart home IoT devices) and never had an issue yet in a 3500 sqft house. This hardwired AppleTV is the only problem I've encountered so far. For some reason, I think either the HDHR or the G1100 doesn't like the 10/100 port on the AppleTV 4 and when the bitrate gets close to about 20 Mbps, it gets throttled. This is the only thing I can think of, because the Windows 7 HTPC on the same exact network path has no issues ever, but his a 1 Gbps NIC.

I've disconnect the ethernet from the Apple TV and have been running it on WiFi only for a couple of days now, and zero issues. Strange that WiFi works better then hardwired!

WilkyF18

Post by WilkyF18 »

shawn_75 wrote: Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:17 pm That router seems to respect QoS. Have you done any QoS configurations on the router or your other switches? My guess would be that the router is screwing up QoS prioritization.
That's what I thought as well. I dug through all the features and advance features in the G1100's interface. I could only find QoS on the WiFi side of the router. Nothing for the LAN portion of the router.

WilkyF18

Post by WilkyF18 »

So did something interesting. On the G1100 router, took the LAN port off "auto" which was detecting 100 Full-Duplex (correct as the Apple TV 4 does not have Gigabit ports) and changed it to "100 Full-Duplex" no change. Macroblocking and speeds dropped from 14-15 Mbps to 1-2 Mpbs within 5 seconds of starting the stream, as per the original problem. I then set the port to "100 Half-Duplex" and started a stream. The picture was good and the bitrate was hovering between 9-11 Mbps. Then about 7-8 minutes in the bitrate got above 13 Mbps and at that point the picture froze, macroblocking, and the bitrate fell to 1-2 Mbps and stayed there. So it seems setting "100 Half-duplex" kept the bitrate that the HDHR was sending out around 10 Mbps and kept a decent signal. However once it got too high, it got throttled and dropped.

Went back to WiFi only and have been watching for an hour now with no issues. Bitrate hovers between 10-13 Mbps with the occasional drop to 8 Mbps and spike to 17 Mbps.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

I also use Fronier FiOS for my internet and so wondering about this issue as I have been getting pixelation, and stops/skips in signal from my HDHR Scribe Duo.
not sure if its weather related or not when I tested it
How did you turn on the "specs/details" page to see the advanced info that you showed in your screen caps above?

WilkyF18

Post by WilkyF18 »

salsaguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:52 am I also use Fronier FiOS for my internet and so wondering about this issue as I have been getting pixelation, and stops/skips in signal from my HDHR Scribe Duo.
not sure if its weather related or not when I tested it
How did you turn on the "specs/details" page to see the advanced info that you showed in your screen caps above?
On my Apple TV I am using the App called "Channels". Once you have a channel tuned, press up on the Apple TV remote and then right to options, there is a setting "Stats for Nerds."

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

ok well I dont have an Apple TV device so.... cool to have the techi nerd info :)