Stretch mode

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
CLorox
Device ID: 13107370,131A76C0

Stretch mode

Post by CLorox »

My local TV LAFF affiliate (25.3) in the Boston area broadcasts in a aspect ratio. It looks really strange w/ 4:3 content, but looks fine when a 16x9 aspect ratio is applied to it. I can tune it in VLC, set it to 16x9 and it looks fine, but the Silicondust app doesn't have a way to do this.

Any chance we could get a 16x9 mode added to the application to complement the zoom?

https://imgur.com/a/HzQwVrE - HDHomerun app

https://imgur.com/a/sih63Gy - VLC 4x3
https://imgur.com/a/ZdlopbL - VLC 16x9

SageMyth

Re: Stretch mode

Post by SageMyth »

I do not think the current official HDHR app has an option to change the aspect ratio.
But, the Unofficial Kodi HDHomeRun DVR PVR Client does have this option since it runs in Kodi.
Just an FYI
viewtopic.php?f=88&t=71135

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

You should ask the station to adjust their encoder so that the video is flagged properly as 16:9 instead of the current incorrect 4:3 setting, and that way it shows up correctly for everyone everywhere.
Sean Anker, Director of Engineering, WFXT Boston 25, sean.anker@boston25.com

CLorox

Post by CLorox »

Thanks Jason! Appreciate you finding that address. I reached out to the Director of Engineering.

ronintexas
Device ID: 10807D4D

Post by ronintexas »

In Austin, TX, we have two channels - H&I (14.3) and Bounce (14.2) that were moved from RF Channel 31 to RF Channel 34 due to the ATSC 3.0 upgrade. On the old RF channel, the meta data was set to an aspect ratio of 16:9, and the picture looked perfect. On the new channel, the guide data (on the TV) is wrong, and the aspect ratio in the meta data is set to 4:3, so the picture is pinched. On my TV, I can set the aspect ratio manually to 16:9 (this also stretches the non-16:9 channels, so I have to constantly change it), but on the HDHomerun and Tablo DVRs, I can't change it (the HDHomerun does have a zoom function).

It would be great to be able to override this (it would even be better for KXAN/KEYE to fix it). I have reached out to H&I, Bounce, KXAN and KEYE, but nothing is ever done. They just seem to be ignoring me.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Did you try both KXAN's Chief Engineer David Cantu david.cantu@kxan.com and VP/GM Eric Lassberg eric.lassberg@kxan.com?

ronintexas

Post by ronintexas »

I have sent emails to David Cantu several times, Gerald Weaver at KEYE, and Amy Villarreal at KEYE (she was the only one that responded, and gave me Gerald Weaver's name).

I even sent them screen shots of the picture on the TV vs. other channels (9"sidebar instead of 3"), the Wiki screenshots where it shows the correct aspect ratios, etc... And no responses.

ronintexas

Post by ronintexas »

I sent Eric Lassberg an email...maybe that will get it done. ;)

CLorox

Post by CLorox »

<edit> 25.2 and 25.3 in the Boston area are now fixed (much thanks to Mr. Anker referenced previously in this thread) </edit>

Feature request... Any chance Silicondust could implement a stretch mode (maybe just double press the button that is currently out there for zoom for stretch, and then three times to go back to default), for narrow content? Unfortunately for us HDHomerun app users, that isn't a great option as it then screws up the aspect ratio of the rest of the HDHomerun UI.