LPF-608M LTE FILTER

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Bkfinest

LPF-608M LTE FILTER

Post by Bkfinest »

HI, IS THIS SOMETHING USEFUL? I AM IN NYC. WOULD I BENEFIT FROM THIS FILTER? I HAVE QUATTRO CONNECT 4 TUNER

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: LPF-608M LTE FILTER

Post by signcarver »

I always suggest one make sure they have an LTE filter... even a 700MHz one would be better than nothing but LTE can go down to the low 600MHz now. The last 600MHz filter I used which supposedly was also 608 but labeled as 600 due to marketing to block the 600MHz LTE unfortunately cut signal on physical channel 35 just enough to make it unusable (very important for ATSC 3.0 in phoenix, and I "can't" amplify any more or I lose nearly everything) and also blocked 36 nearly completely which also has channels available in phoenix so I have my doubts about the story that they were the same. I'm supposed to get SD's filter today (depending on when I check USPS, it indicates it went from Phoenix to Albuquerque and now back to Phoenix but sometimes it leaves out being in phoenix first so not sure if it was sent from Albuquerque originally but just used SD's address in phoenix... Once back in phoenix after the distribution center it went to the wrong post office first).

In NYC I believe CBS and NBC are on 35 and 36 (forget which order) so it "might" have similar problems but my understanding is that SD's filter should allow good pass through of 35 and 36.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

I did finally get mine from SD and can confirm channel 36 works for me unlike that other filter.

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Great any bettering in pixelation or bad signals?

Also does it plug to the back of the connect quatrro?

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Whether or not it improves anything depends on your particular circumstances. Like I said before, I always recommend an LTE filter for OTA tv particularly on the 4th and 5th gen models as it eliminates a source of potential issues and until recently one could get away with "any" lte filter as frequencies were above 700 MHz now cell phones (and towers) can go down to 618 and are dubbed as being 600 MHz. As a result a few "600 MHz filters made it to market probably the main one being from Channel Master which I had problems with on 35 and 36 (though to be fair 35 is fairly weak where I am in Phoenix so even the insertion loss could have caused such but 36 was "completely" cut off). Later models of the CM filter now also state 608 but have read and been told the filter is the same and previous 600MHz labeled models were only labeled as such due to the how such was "dubbed" but my experience was that it did indeed negatively affected quite a bit lower than 608.

I am not seeing that issue with SD's filter. There probably is a 1dB loss (<1dB?) which is common on just about anything one inserts.

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Does this filter only block 628mhz from lets say tmobile 600mhz towers? Would it pass higher bands for other channels? Is there a site where i can check the mhz banda used for nyc ota channels?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Broadcast TV channels in (most of) the US stop at channel 36, which occupies 602-608MHz. Channel 37 (608-614MHz) is reserved for radio astronomy use. Cell phone service starts just above that. There are a few low-power TV broadcasts in BFE that are still operating on channels 38-51. They're allowed to squat on those channels until the new license holder decides to light up service in that area, at which point the TV broadcaster has to go off-air or move to a different channel. If you live in any kind of medium or large city or near any important highway, odds are your area has already moved all the TV broadcasts off 38-51.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

In NYC all the RF 38-51 LPTV stations already vactated and either signed on their new signals, or are currently silent and in the process of building out new signals between RF 2-RF 36.

SiliconDust's fillter starts attenuating (weakening) after 608 MHz, which is the start of RF 37 and completely blocks everything above 618 MHz, which is halfway into RF 38. The 5G band starts at 617 MHz.

Other filters like the Channel Master one that signcarver mentioned, start attenuating at 600 MHz, which is the top edge of RF 35 (WNJU/WNBC), while RF 36 (WCBS) is severely reduced. Even the 700 MHz filter that Channel Master came out with caused problems pre-repack because it started attenuating at 685 MHz, which is the top edge of RF 49, so people like myself who had a local station on RF 50 couldn't use it, while in the NYC area it would have caused problems with WEDW (RF 49, now sharing RF 21), WBQM-LD (RF 50, now sharing RF 3 as WNWT-LD) and WNJN (RF 51, now sharing RF 8).

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

So I can benefit from this filter in NYC without losing channels?

Bkfinest

Post by Bkfinest »

Also does let signal affect other channels on other MHz?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

If you're encountering issues with LTE interference it will help. This is most likely to happen if you're using an amplifier or amplified antenna, and/or if you're far away from the broadcast towers. If you actually live in NYC, you probably shouldn't be using an amplified antenna in the first place, but if you are, the LTE filter will probably help. If you're on the fringes of the coverage area, say central NJ or eastern Nassau County, then it might help there too.

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

I just got my Homerun Scribe Duo yesterday and set it up but have been having NAJOR pixelation issues on my shows and its almost unwatchable.
I have a 1 story home with a ROOF mounted mast antenna (unknow what kind as it was here when I bought the home in 2001) :)
Even my local MAJOR channels like CBS, NVC, ABC, etc which should have STRING signals are having pixelation / stutter issues.
What is the MINIMUM signal strength we need to see on a channel to ensure no pixelation,
We just had a MAJOR storm here in So. California and so its been cloudy so manybe not the best day to do real life testing but.....if its this bad...why even bother trying to record OTA Free TV if it sucks this bad?!

Would getting this device for my setup help me ou to improve?
I was told we can do a command line to get a signal strength report but still trying to figure out how to do that from the person who posted

thanks

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

Based on my internet search for local cell towers the two closest to me is 0.8 and 1.1 miles and some others within 2 miles.
Will this filter help?

salsaguy

Post by salsaguy »

I received my filter today
will be doing some before/after tests once I install it
any suggestions on best methods/process to verify it works ?

PTSD

Post by PTSD »

salsaguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 am I just got my Homerun Scribe Duo yesterday and set it up but have been having NAJOR pixelation issues on my shows and its almost unwatchable.
I have a 1 story home with a ROOF mounted mast antenna (unknow what kind as it was here when I bought the home in 2001) :)
Even my local MAJOR channels like CBS, NVC, ABC, etc which should have STRING signals are having pixelation / stutter issues.
What is the MINIMUM signal strength we need to see on a channel to ensure no pixelation,
We just had a MAJOR storm here in So. California and so its been cloudy so manybe not the best day to do real life testing but.....if its this bad...why even bother trying to record OTA Free TV if it sucks this bad?!

Would getting this device for my setup help me ou to improve?
I am in SoCal as well, east San Fernando Valley (91402), 21 miles almost exactly due west from the transmission towers on Mt. Wilson. Having no problem whatsoever with signal strength or quality with my CONNECT QUATRO. I'm using a Winegard Freevision HDTV Antenna purchased a few years ago, on a J-pipe with short extension attached to the low end of a roof gable (necessary to dodge some trees), and good quality quad-shielded RG-6 coax and connectors, etc. We are receiving 169 virtual channels and nearly all of them have no pixelation or dropouts. Signal stats as shown in HDHomeRun Config GUI (hdhomerun_config_gui.exe) are excellent for all the major networks here. More on those stats here:

https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/trouble ... th_quality
https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/hdhomer ... l_strength

If your antenna is actually over 20 years old then that might be half your problem, as it's likely tuned to low VHF and/or lower UHF frequencies that are no longer used for Digital TV in the L.A. market, and you are just picking up unwanted signal. You should check and fix your problems from the root, starting with the antenna and cabling and connectors, before installing any LTE filter.

Suggest that you start here to get an idea of what the FCC thinks about your local reception situation:

https://www.fcc.gov/media/engineering/dtvmaps

For my zip code, all but the last few stations listed show "Strong"/green DTV coverage, and the Winegard Freevision antenna is more than adequate. If the FCC map shows most of the stations for your location as Moderate or Weak (e.g. if you sit in a coverage shadow) then you may need something built to pull in more signal. But that does not mean larger elements, as those are indicative of tuning for low VHF. Here's a link to the Freevision antenna, you can see that it's much smaller than the old school VHF/UHF antennas from back in the day:

https://winegard.com/products/hdtv-digi ... freevision

I did purchase an Antra ATF-700 5-700Mhz 4G LTE Filter (similar to the older ChannelMaster LTE filter) just to see if it improved things any, but in my case it was totally unnecessary. Of course if you have strong cell tower(s) signals in your area then YMMV.
salsaguy wrote: Wed Dec 30, 2020 12:51 am I was told we can do a command line to get a signal strength report but still trying to figure out how to do that from the person who posted
I saw your other post on this topic and will try to respond there when I have time. But commandline is totally unnecessary, just double-click the HDHomeRun Config GUI program (hdhomerun_config_gui.exe). If it's missing from the program folder (default is C:\Program Files\Silicondust\HDHomeRun) then you should re-run the latest HDHomeRun installer executable (currently hdhomerun_windows_20210104.exe) to reinstall it. Unfortunately (last time I looked) the installer no longer creates a shortcut to the Config GUI program, so you may need to go find it and create a shortcut yourself.

(Edited to update number of channels received in our area, and to make it clear that hdhomerun_config_gui.exe is foremost a GUI program -- just double-click it!)