New Batch of Primes - Tuning Adapter working for anyone?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
wilme2

New Batch of Primes - Tuning Adapter working for anyone?

Post by wilme2 »

Has anyone successfully configured a Tuning Adapter with a Prime from the new batch? (The new batch does not have individual LEDs for tuners on the front.)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: New Batch of Primes - Tuning Adapter working for anyone?

Post by signcarver »

Make sure you mention provider and what brand cablecard... they haven't had LED's on new primes for a few years.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

I didn't know about the LEDs, thank you!

I am trying to turn up a Motorola M card and MTR-700 on Spectrum (TWC Dallas). But would first like to know if anyone has a new batch Prime working with a Tuning Adapter.

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

The Motorola TAs were the ones that had trouble in the past (but it's not like you get to decide moto vs cisco). It would not surprise me if something similar happened again... I do not know if this is something SD can see remotely through diagnostics data... as I recall they discovered the cause of such issue in a cablelabs lab ($$$$) then worked on a firmware fix that tricked the TA but then arris updated the firmware and not sure if they continued using that fix in future prime firmwares.

Can you see a firmware version of the card and the TA as I seem to recall that some former charter areas were stuck on old card/ta firmware (do you know if your spectrum area was charter or twc?)

in some cases it is just the matter of getting the TA up and configured (many have claimed to bring it up until the led stops blinking prior to connecting usb cable). I am much more familiar with Cisco TAs so don't know the diagnostic screens of the moto.

My suggestion is to turn on sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan then with your DeviceID the folks at SD can take a look and perhaps see something.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

signcarver wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:32 pm Can you see a firmware version of the card and the TA as I seem to recall that some former charter areas were stuck on old card/ta firmware (do you know if your spectrum area was charter or twc?)

My suggestion is to turn on sending of diagnostic data and run a channel scan then with your DeviceID the folks at SD can take a look and perhaps see something.
Legacy TWC. In the Tuning Resolver pages, everything that appears to be a hardware or firmware revision number is the same between my working Tuning Adapter on an old Prime and the one I can't get to work on the new Prime. The same goes for Cable Card hardware and firmware.

I opened a ticket with SD including diagnostics on 12/10, and the two replies so far have not been helpful. I continue to send diagnostics and update the ticket.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

wilme2 wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:51 am
signcarver wrote: Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:32 pm Can you see a firmware version of the card and the TA as I seem to recall that some former charter areas were stuck on old card/ta firmware (do you know if your spectrum area was charter or twc?)

Legacy TWC. In the Tuning Resolver pages, everything that appears to be a hardware or firmware revision number is the same between my working Tuning Adapter on an old Prime and the one I can't get to work on the new Prime. The same goes for Cable Card hardware and firmware.

I opened a ticket with SD including diagnostics on 12/10, and the two replies so far have not been helpful. I continue to send diagnostics and update the ticket.
Sorry for the lack of updates, I will make sure the ticket is replied to tonight. I need to see what Nick thinks it might be.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Wait, you have an old PRIME and a working TA? Have you switched the TAs between the PRIMEs? Pretty definitive test right there. If the working TA continues to work with the new PRIME, then the PRIME is fine and Spectrum people are idiots. If the working TA doesn't work with the new PRIME, then there's something wrong with the new PRIME. There's no pairing between a TA and a specific host device or CableCARD, so there's nothing to stop you from swapping. Just make sure you're not watching/recording something at the time, of course.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Also need to check the firmware version of the Motorola TA... there is a bug that Motorola fixed where the Motorola TA would only work with host devices older than a specific date (security certificate time validation bug).

Nick

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

jasonl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:46 pm Wait, you have an old PRIME and a working TA? Have you switched the TAs between the PRIMEs? Pretty definitive test right there. If the working TA continues to work with the new PRIME, then the PRIME is fine and Spectrum people are idiots. If the working TA doesn't work with the new PRIME, then there's something wrong with the new PRIME. There's no pairing between a TA and a specific host device or CableCARD, so there's nothing to stop you from swapping. Just make sure you're not watching/recording something at the time, of course.
This WORKED! I moved the old & working TA to the new Prime, and they came up together and scanned the right number of channels. Moved it back and am now going to work with Spectrum again on getting the new TA working.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

nickk wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:50 pm Also need to check the firmware version of the Motorola TA... there is a bug that Motorola fixed where the Motorola TA would only work with host devices older than a specific date (security certificate time validation bug).

Nick
I have been over all of the Tuning Resolver pages and everything appears to be the same between the old & working TA and the new & not-working TA. Confirmation of the firmware compatibility was I hoping to get from the ticket I opened with SD.

wilme2

Post by wilme2 »

wilme2 wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:07 pm
jasonl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:46 pm Wait, you have an old PRIME and a working TA? Have you switched the TAs between the PRIMEs? Pretty definitive test right there. If the working TA continues to work with the new PRIME, then the PRIME is fine and Spectrum people are idiots. If the working TA doesn't work with the new PRIME, then there's something wrong with the new PRIME. There's no pairing between a TA and a specific host device or CableCARD, so there's nothing to stop you from swapping. Just make sure you're not watching/recording something at the time, of course.
This WORKED! I moved the old & working TA to the new Prime, and they came up together and scanned the right number of channels. Moved it back and am now going to work with Spectrum again on getting the new TA working.
RESOLVED! After the suggestion from jasonl above, I called back to Spectrum for the 6th time over the past 12 days since I received the new Prime and have been trying to get it configured. I called the Spectrum cable card activation number posted in the sticky at the top of the forum - but I focused the conversation about the Tuning Adapter and not about the cable card/Prime. Within a few minutes the new TA was working, but simultaneously the old TA stopped working. At which point the rep indicated he knew exactly what the problem was - both TAs were on the account, but the hierarchy was wrong and so only one could work at a time. Within another 10 minutes he had it fixed, and now both Primes show Tuning Adapater: Ready and I have tested out the same known Switched Digital Video channel on each!

signcarver
Expert

Post by signcarver »

Great to hear you got it working... I was going to make jasonl's suggestion in my first post but haven't touched a moto TA in 7 years so wasn't 100% certain on that as I did remember a post in another forum from the person that was best at handling things for charter mention such hierarchy needed but I remembered it a bit different that "required" the TAs and Cards in the "matched" order so thought the swapping may not work with moto.

It also wouldn't have come as a surprise if Arris put such a timebomb in that firmware as it happened 6 years ago and there hadn't been any new primes for a year or so and it may have made sense they extended such for only 5 years... glad that wasn't the case.