Copying Files to NAS

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
TWJones51@gmail.com

Copying Files to NAS

Post by TWJones51@gmail.com »

I am interested in the HD HomeRun and have a question about whither I should buy one with local hard drive or not.

I know the HD HomeRun Duo or Quatro will record to a NAS (I own Synology 1550+)
I’m considering buying a Scribe (with local hard drive). My thought process is to keep recording local / less complex.

However, if I buy a Scribe model with locally recorded files, can I save/archive recorded program files to my NAS manually at a later time?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Copying Files to NAS

Post by signcarver »

The only advantage when one already has a nas that I see of the scribe/servio is they should get DRM capable recording first so personally I would suggest an engine on a NAS (or even get another NAS whose sole purpose is to run the engine)

Currently the only way to "get" a file off of such (other than popping the drive out) is to essentially "play" the file using the playURL of the recording. Currently there is no method to move files to the device (other than popping the drive). A future firmware update should make it "easier" to access and move files but keep in mind the devices are only 100Mbps and most used to having a NAS will probably not tolerate that speed to move multi-gigabyte files around.

However the scribes do come with a year of access to run the DVR and it is extremely easy to hook up so they do have their place.

TWJones51@gmail.com

Re: Copying Files to NAS

Post by TWJones51@gmail.com »

First, This response is very well put. It makes sense. Thanks! That is why I asked.
Second, I misstated my Synology model - it is 1515+
Third - now that I see my screen name I realize my complete disregard for security or anonymity. My bad. I'll have to re-establish my id to help others. But... the truth is out :)

Thank you for your help