New Silicondust LTE Filter

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sdust

Re: New Silicondust LTE Filter

Post by sdust »

nickk wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 pm It is an inline filter - you attach it to the back of your HDHomeRun or the back of your RF amplifier. No cables required.
I must have missed that when reading instructions ;)

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

My review: I just received and installed the LTE filter on my antenna.
The channels that had 100% signal level and 80% quality now have 100% level and 95-98% quality, Pixelization doesn't happen anymore, only a couple of seconds after switching to that channel.
I am "seeing" also a few extra stations that are farther way, and were not visible in scans before. Their levels are too small for usage, but IMO, they show that the first stage is not overloaded anymore.

All in all a good result.

NOYB

Post by NOYB »

nickk wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:12 pm It is an inline filter - you attach it to the back of your HDHomeRun or the back of your RF amplifier. No cables required.
Unless running an amplifier at the antenna. The filter should go upstream of the amp so that the amp doesn't get over driven.

The LTE filter being a passive device can actually be inserted in either direction, thus eliminating need for gender bending, can it not?
Experimented with reversed direction insertion with CM LTE filter and it seems to work the same in either direction.

UPDATE:
Actually think I was connecting directly to the antenna (female connection), then directly to the amp. So no coax until after the amp.
Last edited by NOYB on Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

NOYB

Post by NOYB »

sdust wrote: Wed Jun 16, 2021 4:47 pm So in order to add it to the existing setup the following is needed:
  1. a piece of coax with 2 RF connectors on the From Antenna end
  2. gended bender on To TV/Amplifier end

Why aren't both ends female or am I missing something?
If intent on gender bending instead of just reversing the LTE filter. An inline f-type-dual-male-inline-coupler may be more desirable than patch cable.
https://www.pchcables.com/fdumainco.html

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

NOYB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:26 am Unless running an amplifier at the antenna. The filter should go upstream of the amp so that the amp doesn't get over driven.
You won't overdrive a modern amplifier with the antenna signal. Otherwise all the cellphones would be "overdriven".
I installed mine at the output of the antenna amp and there are no issues.

sdust

Post by sdust »

NOYB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 am If intent on gender bending instead of just reversing the LTE filter.
What do you mean reversing? I don't think there will be any filtering if you do that.

NOYB

Post by NOYB »

sdust wrote: Sun Jul 25, 2021 3:15 pm
NOYB wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 am If intent on gender bending instead of just reversing the LTE filter.
What do you mean reversing? I don't think there will be any filtering if you do that.
I mean exactly that. Reversing. Why would you think there would be no filtering? It is a passive device.
The CM LTE filter seems to work just as well in either direction. I'd suspect the SD LTE filter is nearly identical.

sdust

Post by sdust »

NOYB wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:23 am
I mean exactly that. Reversing. Why would you think there would be no filtering? It is a passive device.
The CM LTE filter seems to work just as well in either direction. I'd suspect the SD LTE filter is nearly identical.
Suggested reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_ ... ss_filters

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

1) The filter does not require any adapters. You attach it to the RF input of your device/splitter/amplifier and attach your existing cable to the filter.

2) The filter should be connected in this direction only - attach it to the RF input of your device/splitter/amplifier.

Nick

NOYB

Post by NOYB »

sdust wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:01 am
NOYB wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 8:23 am

Suggested reading:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-pass_ ... ss_filters
Why?

NOYB

Post by NOYB »

SoNic67 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:55 am You won't overdrive a modern amplifier with the antenna signal. Otherwise all the cellphones would be "overdriven".
On what do you base this assertion?

SoNic67

Post by SoNic67 »

On the base that that same chips, used in cellphones don't get "overloaded".

SheldonGoldwing

Post by SheldonGoldwing »

I purchased the LTE Filter hoping it would help resolve the issue I was having with my HDHomeRun freezing for a few seconds but it made no difference. Mine is placed just before the amp. (Removing the amp did not help either) I will post the issue else where but thought I would post my results here hoping it might help someone in the future. The filter is nicely made and I wish it helped my issue.. I left it on as it does not seem to affect my signal quality which normally runs at 100%.

Jet2F

Post by Jet2F »

nickk wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 3:09 pm We have just released a newly designed LTE filter specifically designed for the new TV and LTE bands in the USA:
https://amzn.to/3oJrrxY

When looking at LTE filters be sure to look for 608MHz pass / 618MHz reject – if the pass band is below 608MHz it will block the higher TV frequencies. If the pass band is above 608MHz it will not block the new “600MHz” LTE band that starts at 618MHz.

Nick
Regarding a Televes 149883 antenna with integrated amp and Silicon Dust LPF-608M 5G LTE filter:
Since this antenna output and amplifier are one and the same, which direction should the SD LTE filter be inserted?
Can the male end be coupled directly to the amplified antenna output, or do I need to use a short coax between the 2 components?
I am confused because the filter is clearly labeled as being directional and how to insert it in a "normal" configuration with a separate amp.
Is the filter truly directional?
My intention is to eliminate as many components / points of failure as possible in my installation.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Install the filter on whatever is directly downstream from the amplified antenna + cable. Direction will be right and no adapters needed.

Nick