HDHR5-4US Not Detecting Channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mrob

HDHR5-4US Not Detecting Channels

Post by mrob »

I have been using an HDHR4-2US with great success for a few months. I've liked it so much that I decided to upgrade to 4 receivers with an HDHR5-4US.

I unplugged the old model and plugged the new one into the same coaxial cable and ethernet cable. I am able to connect to the web interface and maneuver through the menus, however I have not been able to get it to detect any channels. If I click the Detect Channels button, it will sit at 0% for a few seconds and then go back to the previous screen without any errors, but also not detecting any channels.

It had a very old firmware on it when I received it (like 2017) so the first thing I did was upgrade it to the current version. I'm not sure what could be going wrong. The signal is very strong and has been working great with the previous model.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5-4US Not Detecting Channels

Post by NedS »

We would like to get some diagnostic data:
  1. Please go to the http://my.hdhomerun.com/ site
  2. Click your HDHomeRun's device ID
  3. If it tells you that a firmware update is available, please install it
  4. Click System Status
  5. Check the Send diagnostic information box
  6. Go back one page
  7. Click Channel Lineup
  8. Click on Detect Channels

Reply back to this post and provide us the device ID of your HDHomeRun and we will check the logs. You can find the device ID at the top of the my.hdhomerun.com web page as well as on a label on the bottom of the HDHomeRun itself.

mrob

Post by mrob »

With additional research I found that I was sold the device with a non-standard 6V power cable. When I borrowed the proper power cable from my brother, it worked flawlessly.

I must say that is some pretty strange behavior considering that the device powered on and was accessible through a browser.

Thanks for the help, but this appears to be resolved.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

Power supply is usually the culprit... almost surprised you didn't fry it at 6V but to tune it needs 5V with extremely low ripple.

mrob

Post by mrob »

I was thinking the same thing. Pretty surprised that someone would sell something as "open box" with the wrong power. Glad it worked though and I can just get a new cable!