Moving & New TV Services

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Lessmore

Moving & New TV Services

Post by Lessmore »

I'm moving from Comcast cable. Looks like I'll get TV from either Sling or Zito, both of which will use Firesticks, or an antenna. Does anyone know how I can continue recording TV to a NAS with Sling or Zito, like my HDHR Prime does now?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Moving & New TV Services

Post by signcarver »

The way you phrased the question might get flagged as being against the rules of the forum as what you proposed using would have nothing to do with SilconDust and its products (fire sticks with sling or zito2go app). That said, at least at one time Zito did support cablecards and could use the prime... however their current boxes also offer iptv and I'm sure at least some areas switched at least some channels if not all. Also they suggest that some (most?) channels may be available as clear qam and use h.264 as they suggest a tv capable of such would work without equipment.

Though I have mentioned this before when people asked about zito, noone has followed up on what they actually deliver in a particular area.

Lessmore

Post by Lessmore »

Thanks. Maybe if my system integrates an antenna I can continue using SiliconDust equipment. The last time I moved, I had to give my set-top box back to the cable company -- along with my movie and TV collection. The HDHR Prime has let me fill up a NAS drive and take my movie and TV collection with me during this next move. So hat tip and thanks for that.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Our DVR will only record content from HDHomeRun units/tuners.

Outside of the DVR, there are options for helping to integrate different sources, though. For example, some streaming services will integrate with "Live Channels" on Android TV, and HDHomeRun units can also show up in Live Channels. The "Channels" app and their own DVR service has some neat features that will let you mix some (most, maybe all?) "TV Everywhere" content with OTA content from HDHomeRun units.

Lessmore

Post by Lessmore »

Thanks, Ned. I might give that a try. Moving day is fast approaching.