Sling Box Replacement

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Neil

Sling Box Replacement

Post by Neil »

I have a sling box 500 which will be discontinued, so I am looking for a replacement.

I have Verizon FIOS TV and will probably keep it and I have no ability to use a local antennae. I would like a device that will allow me to watch live TV from my cable provider. I would use it mostly on my local WIFI network and if possible would like to use also remotely when not at home (but remote need is not mandatory). I don't need the capability to DVR anything, but if I could access my cable provider DVR that would be a bonus but again not really required.

I see that SiliconDust has several products and would like suggestions on which product would most fit my needs (or some other manufacturer's product).

Thanks for your help.

NedS
Silicondust

Re: Sling Box Replacement

Post by NedS »

If you want to view things remotely, your best bet is something like Plex or Emby, paired with our HDHomeRun PRIME. Plex and Emby have their own additional subscription service fee for accessing live TV (I believe both have lifetime subscription/one-time-payment options as well), and will require a NAS or always-on PC to act as the server (please refer to their respective websites for hardware requirements, etc).

The bad news is that we do not have any HDHomeRun PRIME units at the moment. The good news is that we do plan on resurrecting our original three-tuner HDHomeRun PRIME for a limited run, as we have sourced some additional parts to make more units. We should have pre-orders for that going up later this year. You can sign up to our hardware mailing list to be notified of when that happens: https://www.silicondust.com/contact/

Note that on Verizon Fios they tend to restrict Fox-owned channels such as Fox News, Fox Business, and the various Fox sports channels, and they will not work in Plex or Emby due to that DRM-restriction. I believe premium movie channels like HBO and Showtime might also be restricted on Fios. Most channels are unrestricted.

Neil

Post by Neil »

Thank you for the response.

I really don't need to see programs outside of my home, watching live on my WIFI network will work fine for me and I do not have a NAS or an always on PC. Will the HDHomeRun Prime allow me to watch any program that Verizon Fois is showing live, without any restricted channels? Again, not a requirement but would I be able to watch programs on the DVR while on my Local WIFI network?

I would suggest that you guys try to make a lot of the Prime product because there are a lot of people like me who will be losing the use of their Sling Box.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Check the last few pages of the Prime thread for a more detailed explanation on what's involved in making Prime units and why they came to that decision:
viewtopic.php?f=131&t=74127

The influx of ex-Slingbox users is iffy though, for people like you who just want to watch on wifi it's an option. But for others who got it for the watch away from home aspect, they'll probably find it easier to just use the TV Everywhere and/or provider specific streaming apps that come with their account. It also doesn't help that the FCC recently eliminated the rule that requires providers to offer the cable card, so who knows how widespread their availability will be for new users by the time Slingbox shuts down 2 years from now, or how many more owners will have DRM restrictions added as FiOS renews contracts preventing additional stations from working with out of home solutions like Plex.

Maybe the online developer community will also find a way to keep the Slingbox live post-shutdown like they did for some other products like ReplayTV and Windows Media Center.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Neil wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 3:35 pm Thank you for the response.

I really don't need to see programs outside of my home, watching live on my WIFI network will work fine for me and I do not have a NAS or an always on PC. Will the HDHomeRun Prime allow me to watch any program that Verizon Fois is showing live, without any restricted channels? Again, not a requirement but would I be able to watch programs on the DVR while on my Local WIFI network?

I would suggest that you guys try to make a lot of the Prime product because there are a lot of people like me who will be losing the use of their Sling Box.
Locally, as long as you use a device that supports DRM playback, you can view everything: https://info.hdhomerun.com/info/drm

Neil

Post by Neil »

Thanks from the info on Win 10 PC playing all channels with DRM, it sounds like most any modern laptop should be able to view all programs.

If SiliconDust does not come out with their prime version, are there other devices by other manufacturer's which would function in similar manners?