2 HDHR Primes

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
cejack

2 HDHR Primes

Post by cejack »

I have a second HDHR Prime Unit (older style 3 tuner unit) that I haven't hooked up.

Do you have to have a second tuning adapter to run a second HDHR prime unit? Or can I cascade the single tuning adapter somehow?

Just curious what is possible.

I was hoping to run this in the same room I have since I have multiple ethernet cables in there and could hook this up but it only has one cable outlet and was hoping I wouldn't have to split the cable outlet.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: 2 HDHR Primes

Post by signcarver »

Not possible to use 1 tuning adapter with 2 primes... though some may opt to use just one tuning adapter depending on what channels are not SDV (the other wouldn't get SDV channels) but many providers are so dependent on SDV that they neglect the regular cable card lineup.

For example here if I didn't use a TA, the cablecard lineup provides an "SD lineup", however my subdivision was one of the first in the area to not get any signal on those SD channels (I happen to have fiber to the home to an ONU where most are more in the area was fiber to the pedestal or node). In my case the TA map is "smart" enough not to provide those SD channels with nothing on them and maps to the HD equivalent. Haven't checked the current state lately for others with cards in the area but know more areas in my market (if not all) have also dropped the SD equivalents but my cards still point to those old frequencies that get nothing if the TA were to go out... which since the update by my provider to DSG mode in May has only been once on one of my primes compared to monthly on each. So to get anything on "normal" channels I must use a TA on each.

Karter

Post by Karter »

cejack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm I have a second HDHR Prime Unit (older style 3 tuner unit) that I haven't hooked up.

Do you have to have a second tuning adapter to run a second HDHR prime unit? Or can I cascade the single tuning adapter somehow?

I was hoping to run this in the same room I have since I have multiple ethernet cables in there and could hook this up but it only has one cable outlet and was hoping I wouldn't have to split the cable outlet.
I am totally confused as to what you are asking
...why is splitting the cable outlet a problwm?
signcarver wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:15 pm Not possible to use 1 tuning adapter with 2 primes... though some may opt to use just one tuning adapter depending on what channels are not SDV (the other wouldn't get SDV channels) but many providers are so dependent on SDV that they neglect the regular cable card lineup.

For example here if I didn't use a TA, the cablecard lineup provides an "SD lineup", however my subdivision was one of the first in the area to not get any signal on those SD channels (I happen to have fiber to the home to an ONU where most are more in the area was fiber to the pedestal or node). In my case the TA map is "smart" enough not to provide those SD channels with nothing on them and maps to the HD equivalent. Haven't checked the current state lately for others with cards in the area but know more areas in my market (if not all) have also dropped the SD equivalents but my cards still point to those old frequencies that get nothing if the TA were to go out... which since the update by my provider to DSG mode in May has only been once on one of my primes compared to monthly on each. So to get anything on "normal" channels I must use a TA on each.
....and really confused by this response

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

cejack wrote: Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm I have a second HDHR Prime Unit (older style 3 tuner unit) that I haven't hooked up.

I would actually get a four way splitter so that each PRIME and each tuning adapter has a direct connection. This can actually be better than using the pass-through connection in the tuning adapter, as sometimes they degrade the signal more than a splitter would.