"diy" connect heatsink/fan help

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
SDnoob

"diy" connect heatsink/fan help

Post by SDnoob »

Bought a couple quatros a while back and haven't used the connect (transcode) 2 tuner version in a long time because the fan was annoyingly loud.

Decided to diy it just for fun and make use of it if successful.

Anyway... I installed my own heatsink and added a normal PC fan on the outside (arctic f8).

When I plug it in, the tuner works fine but only tested it for an hour or so, because the fan never turned on.

Soo the question, one of three possibilities...

Either the fan didn't kick in because it wasn't needed (chip never got hot enough with new heat sink?)... Or I have it wired incorrectly... Or the arctic F8 requires too much power and I'll have to wire it separately.

Which of the 3, anyone know?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: "diy" connect heatsink/fan help

Post by signcarver »

A connect wouldn't use a fan nor does it transcode

SDnoob

Post by SDnoob »

Yea I didn't know specifically what it was but just searched to provided clarification.

Apparently it's hdtc-us extend? In any event it's the 2 tuner with fan and transcoding (revised version is all metal, no fan. Mine is plastic).

Slight update. At least a part of it was me accidentally flipping the wires.

I re-wired, and now it sort of works... I had to give the blades a wee bit of a manual spin and now it is spinning continuously (which means power is being supplied).

I used an 80mm pc case fan for it. Think it's too large and the extend or whatever it's called isn't providing enough power to push it to full speed?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

The Extend varies the fan voltage depending on the CPU temperature to limit noise. If you're using your own fan you might want to power it separately since the lower voltages might not be enough to spin it up. You might be able to just wire it straight to the power connector since that's 12V.

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

When you first apply power the fan should run - this is the best way to check you have things wired correctly.

After a short time the thermal management logic kicks in turns the fan off.

If the heatsink is big enough and attached well the system may not need to turn the fan on, even under full load.

BTW - we have a fanless case upgrade for the EXTEND available from our shop site.

Nick

SDnoob

Post by SDnoob »

Thanks guys. When I first plug it in, it "flinches" a bit but doesn't spin. If I give it a tiny nudge it spins continuously. Maybe I did a crappy job soldering the pins.

Only one other question pls - is there any way to check the chip temperatures? Didn't see a temperature called out in the event logs. Will the log show me IF it overheats?

@nickk I know you guys have the fanless option but I have no major need for this I'll be buying another quatro soon.

Speaking of which no veterans day discounts this year!? Was really hoping to buy a quatro for 99. Or dare I say the 4k for 150...

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

If it overheats it will log the problem and switch to low power mode to cool down.

How big is the heatsink? If it is big enough you might not need the fan.

Nick

SDnoob

Post by SDnoob »

Not at home to post a picture rn but the setup is heftier than the original for sure.

I added smaller heatsinks that came with an old graphics card I purchased. Basically 4 pieces that cover the entire chip and they each have multiple tall fins.

I've had it running now since yesterday, with no shutdown/reboots and no log entries.

I'll take it as a good sign and monitor it for a few days.

Thanks everyone! And drop a sale @nickk 😂