HDHR-US not getting channels since 20200225 update

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
TechnoSwiss

HDHR-US not getting channels since 20200225 update

Post by TechnoSwiss »

I have 2 HDHR-US tuners along with an HDHR3-CC, back in June 2020 I was upgrading my server and decided to pull down the latest firmware releases for the HomeRuns as well. The HDHR3-CC latest firmware at the time was 20200521 and the HDHR-US was 20200225. The HDHR3-CC took the update and has been running fine since, and I thought the HDHR-US units were running fine as well, until I started to notice MythTV recordings were blank, I finally tracked it down the shows that had been recorded OTA, which means they were coming of the HDHR-US units. When I open up the HDHomeRun Setup app, it finds both the HDHR-US units, and both tuners on those units, however when I run a scan it doesn't find any channels. I've triple checked the antenna connections and tested the line with a TV and I'm getting a signal on the TV, but nada from the HDHR-US.

I thought I remembered the web page for the HDHR-US units having Channel Lineup and System status information, but when I check the web page I'm just getting Model Number, Device ID, Firmware, and a link to download drivers and a link to installation instructions.

Most of what we watch comes off the HDHR3-CC, but I'm thinking about ditching the cable, and I'd really like to have the HDHR-US working again for OTA channels.

TechnoSwiss

Re: HDHR-US not getting channels since 20200225 update

Post by TechnoSwiss »

Anybody have an idea on the HDHR-US not working with the latest firmware update?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

I would probably start with power supply as typically the reset after a firmware update (or other reset/power outage) will start showing such problems (until the reset it often continues working as normal). The legacy devices do not maintain their own lineup. If you are on recent firmware, I forget if they actually show the ability to access a lineup page the way you mentioned but the lineup url, which most often obtained by the discover.json of the tuner would then be hosted by SD rather than the device and requires a scan from windows (must be on a fairly recent version of hdhomerun setup to perform such scan, particularly if on windows 7 as upgrades to the server requires some updates that didn't make it into regular windows updates for now "unsupported" windows 7). And such also requires the tuners have access to the internet. (note: I believe it was around June that many got the bad version of setup for certain cases in updating SD with the legacy device's lineup and a beta was made shortly after).

However none of that would normally affect Myth so should not matter, but, especially since you also have a prime, it is "possible" for myth to be configured that "might" rely on such lineup but usually OTA tuners don't use the method used by myth with a prime, and I am not certain that even if such "could" be done, if it would actually use the presented "HDHomeRun" protocol for legacy tuners (but I do know such configuration can be used by the modern ota tuners with myth).

I would go through with hdhomerun_config_gui and check each channels signal (possibly both before and after looking at power supply).

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Can we have you download the most recent version of the HDHomeRun Setup utility: https://download.silicondust.com/hdhome ... indows.exe

Then open the HDHomeRun Setup utility, open the "Advanced" tab, enable "Send diagnostic information", and then try to do a channel scan.

Finally, reply back with the Device ID printed on the bottom of the HDHR-US.

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

I've power cycled both units, and the results are the same.

I believe I recall seeing the channel lineup on the HDHR-US on an older version of the firmware, but with the latest firmware the only information available on the device web-page is the model number, device ID, and firmware version (and a link to the firmware update page on and a link to installation instructions)

A quick note on my setup before the signal strength results. I have a Mohu Arc Indoor HDTV Antenna mounted in the attic, that runs down to my wiring panel with about a 15ft run of RG6 Quad shielded coax. That goes into a Emerson VSMA-608C amplified 8-way slitter (so each tap has 4dB of gain) 4 taps go off to the 2 HDHR-USs, 3 taps go off to TVs in the house, and one tap is empty (terminated with 75-ohm terminator).

Using the hdhomerun_config_gui app and looking at signal strength I'm reporting values bouncing around between 15-50% (it starts at 50% when I first tune the channel, then it bounces between 15-34%). I'm getting those values as the units were connected. I disconnected all the coax lines, I'm getting the same values (on every channel) and I have an extra Mohu Arc that I connected direct to one of the tuners and I'm still getting the same values. The TVs that are coming off that splitter all report between 92-100% (of course not sure how their % strength compares necessarily)

From that I would assume I can't tune channels because it's not seeing enough signal, however there should be plenty of signal on the coax, and I haven't changed anything in this setup from when it was working last other than the firmware update from Feb., as far as I know.

With the original connection through the splitter on 101AD202-0&1 and 101CB2D-1, and the spare Mohu Arc sitting in my window pointed at the closest TV tower connected to 101CB2D-0 I ran a scan on all 4 tuners with the send diagnostics report box checked in the latest version of the setup app.

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

I guess the device IDs are kind of hidden in there:

101AD202
101CB2D

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

101AD282 and 101CB2D0

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

:facepalm: Thank you, yes 101AD282 and 101CB2D0. Apparently my eyes need more sleep.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Very odd readings. It's getting signal strength, but zero signal quality. Both units pretty much showing the same thing.

I'll make a note to ask the boss on Monday after the long holiday weekend what he thinks about it.

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

Thank you, and hopefully you get to enjoy the holiday weekend.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

Signcarver recommended checking the power supplies and the easiest way to do that is to replace one at a time with a known-good one with the same voltage (5.0 vdc), the same or higher current capability (1 A or more) and the same size plug. You have at least one of those: the supply for your HDHR3-CC. You may have others for other devices. Worth a try.

BTW, the lack of a channel lineup on the web page is normal for legacy models. I don't have it for my gen-2 models but do for my gen-4 ones. And the legacy ones work fine on firmware 20200225. If you have a copy of the older firmware or know how to download it, you could reinstall that but you shouldn't need to. Unlike the later models, the firmware on the legacy ones can be downgraded. If the power supplies were marginal when you upgraded, it's possible that the upgrade was bad. With a good PS attached you might want to reinstall it. Although it seems unlikely that both installations would cause identical symptoms.

Did you do the upgrades by running the latest Windows installation or by downloading just the firmware as Linux users might do. You're using MythTV which is available for Windows but mostly used on Linux. What are you running?

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

ebo wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:33 am Signcarver recommended checking the power supplies and the easiest way to do that is to replace one at a time with a known-good one with the same voltage (5.0 vdc), the same or higher current capability (1 A or more) and the same size plug. You have at least one of those: the supply for your HDHR3-CC. You may have others for other devices. Worth a try.

BTW, the lack of a channel lineup on the web page is normal for legacy models. I don't have it for my gen-2 models but do for my gen-4 ones. And the legacy ones work fine on firmware 20200225. If you have a copy of the older firmware or know how to download it, you could reinstall that but you shouldn't need to. Unlike the later models, the firmware on the legacy ones can be downgraded. If the power supplies were marginal when you upgraded, it's possible that the upgrade was bad. With a good PS attached you might want to reinstall it. Although it seems unlikely that both installations would cause identical symptoms.

Did you do the upgrades by running the latest Windows installation or by downloading just the firmware as Linux users might do. You're using MythTV which is available for Windows but mostly used on Linux. What are you running?
I have tried swapping power supplies, no joy on that one unfortunately. I had read something about the HDHomeruns being sensitive to voltage ripple on the power supply. The supplies that come with the HDHomeruns are obviously switch mode, which can be nosier than linear power supplies, so I tried switching over to a linear supply with the same results. I was contemplating trying a 5V battery supply which should be as quite as you can get it, but wasn't sure it was worth the effort to get that hooked up since the linear supply didn't make any difference.

I thought at one point the gen-2's showed the channel line up, but honestly it's probably been several years since I had to dig into anything and open the web page, either I'm remembering incorrectly, or they pulled it out at some point. Doesn't really matter either way, just an observation.

The MythTV system is running under Linux. The firmware updates have been so far done just strictly with the Windows setup application, I was looking around last night to try and find where I could download the firmware images and try to downgrade manually, but I wasn't finding any information on that.

ebo
Device ID: 1016F746, 101C8CF9, 1041F134, 10532394

Post by ebo »

TechnoSwiss wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:03 pm I was looking around last night to try and find where I could download the firmware images and try to downgrade manually, but I wasn't finding any information on that.
You can download older firmwares from the same location as the current one (listed under "HDHomeRun Software for Linux"). Just change the filename's current date (20200225) to the one you want. The previous version for the HDHR-US was 20170930, before that was 20150604. Or you might try downloading and reinstalling the current version in case something went wrong with the last installation. As I said, the current version works fine for me.

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

ebo wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:25 am You can download older firmwares from the same location as the current one (listed under "HDHomeRun Software for Linux"). Just change the filename's current date (20200225) to the one you want. The previous version for the HDHR-US was 20170930, before that was 20150604. Or you might try downloading and reinstalling the current version in case something went wrong with the last installation. As I said, the current version works fine for me.
Thank you, I'll give that a shot.

TechnoSwiss

Post by TechnoSwiss »

Hmm... well I've tried updating a fresh download of 20200225 and a couple of other versions, same results on all of then. I get signal strength readings, but nothing comes up on the signal quality, and no channels tuned.