FiOS without Coax?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
kmcherry

FiOS without Coax?

Post by kmcherry »

Hi everyone, I've had the HD HomeRun prime for several years now, and it's consistently worked well for us. That makes me hesitant to tinker with anything, but we've reached the point between working from home and learning from home that the old FiOS Actiontec Router (Rev I) we've been using is no longer enough. I'd like to switch over to a newer router--preferably one of my own to avoid the FiOS surcharge--using ethernet, but I don't know how to set that up, as it would get rid of the coaxial cable. Would FiOS leave the coaxial jack active for television signal purposes even if I switch to ethernet for internet access? Or is there a better solution?

I've looked in the part of the forum I could see, although I miss the old forum with its list of tips and tricks posted at the top. (It's worked so well that I haven't had to check the forum in quite some time!)

Thanks for any help that you can offer!

jasonl
Expert

Re: FiOS without Coax?

Post by jasonl »

Data can run over either ethernet or coax. TV will remain available via coax regardless of which data connection is in use. If you are only using CableCARDs then you can dump the Fios router entirely. If you keep a set-top box around for VOD or other reasons, you will need to keep the router to give it a MoCA signal so it can get guide listings and VOD, but it can be secondary to your own router.

kmcherry

Post by kmcherry »

Thanks! With the HD HomeRun, we've been able to dump all the set top boxes and use two HTPCs (WMC) and one SmartTv that works with the HomeRun. So it's just the cable card.

Is there a way to test if it will work with just the ethernet connection without actually changing everything? (I'm still hoping to find a way to make use of the MoCA connections all over the house, but I haven't yet figured out how to do that, just because of the way the wires are positioned.)

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

FiOS uses traditional QAM muxes to deliver their linear channels, it's not IP/ethernet based delivery like U-Verse.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

There's no way to test it. Data can be active either over ethernet or over MoCA, not both at the same time. And again, TV is always over coax.