Choosing channel when station broadcasting on two frequencies

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
RonRN18

Choosing channel when station broadcasting on two frequencies

Post by RonRN18 »

I have the new HDHR5-4K tuner and live just north of Sacramento, CA. Our local ABC affiliate, KXTV, broadcasts on their original RF channel of 10. Despite this being for Sacramento, it is not received well in Sacramento and surrounding areas on VHF, so they have a low-power UHF translator on RF channel 36. When I do a channel scan, it will originally show two 10.1, 10.2, 10.3, and 10.4 channels until the end. After the scan, if it was done during the daytime, it will make them all the UHF 36, but if scanned at night, it is the VHF 10. Regardless, they both show a Signal Strength and Symbol Quality of 100% and a Signal Quality of 67-68%. Despite them, both showing the same Signal Quality, the VHF version (if scanned at night) often blocks up and has distortion. If it is on UHF, despite the same Signal Quality, the picture is an apparent perfect 1280x720 picture. Even at night, the UHF still has a better picture than the VHF. Because of this, I would like to see a way where I could override which RF channel is used when the same virtual channel shows up more than once.