HDHR-Prime stuttering after most recent firmware update

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
lightvox

HDHR-Prime stuttering after most recent firmware update

Post by lightvox »

I have a HDHR-prime with a FIOS cable card that I recently updated to the most recent firmware because of the recent addition of the ability to play recordings on the Apple TV. I'm now noticing stuttering/glitches every 7 minutes. Anyone else with an HDHR-Prime noticing this as well?

billyray

Re: HDHR-Prime stuttering after most recent firmware update

Post by billyray »

I get a glitch and the sound goes out of sync. It is happening on both my nvidia shield tvs and on the Windows web client. If I hit the FF button it will get back in sync and then a few minutes later a glitch and oos again.

lightvox

Post by lightvox »

Yes, I'm getting exactly the same thing. My glitches are happening like clock work about every 7 minutes. Stutter/glitch and then audio is out of sync, but in my situation, the audio corrects itself fairly quickly within 30-60 seconds. The other weird thing is that it's not happening on every channel.

leerandall
Device ID: 131102D9, 1326E147

Post by leerandall »

I've had this happen occasionally on TVland network only. I've come to the conclusion that it is a glitch in their stream once in a while because it'll happen for a few days, then the next time I tune to that channel, it won't be happening and it'll stay good for a few days.

Philly4x4

Post by Philly4x4 »

I'm having the same problem and I previously had this problem a few years ago with a previous firmware update. I believe I may have temporarily fixed this time using the same method I did when it occurred a few years ago. Hopefully if this issue happens to others, SiliconDust will provide another firmware fix to address, because they were able to fix this issue before.

Here is my setup... I use Plex on a Synology NAS in conjunction with HD Homerun Prime and have Fios Gigabit Internet / TV Preferred package.

Symptom: When I view LiveTv (whether in Plex on my Nvidia Shield, ios device, or using the LiveChannels or HDHomeRun App on my Nvidia Shield), some LiveTV channels will stutter briefly or sound will drop out. On my Nvidia Shield this shows appears either as a) dropped sound b) picture freeze c) both and it appears that the Nvidia Shield is buffering. Same thing happens regardless of the device. At first I thought it was that my router needed be rebooted or something, but this didn't do anything. All of my devices are hard wired Ethernet, with the exception of my iPhone... and the same thing happened whether I was hard wired or wireless.

What is working for me: I have a Fios Gigabit Router (Quantum). My HDHomerun Prime is connected directly into one of the LAN Ports. In the admin settings of the router, I can go to Advanced -> Port Configuration, and set the port from 1000-Full-Duplex (Gigabit) to 100 Full-Duplex. Save the change. No more stuttering. Now I'm not sure that other routers have the capability to slow down your network speed via a setting, but it's worth a shot if yours does.

You can test this by creating a simple .bat file, running it on a Windows machine, and running it before and after making the above change on the router. Place the 3 lines of code in the .bat file... (change the path in the first line to where your install is and change tuner_id to whatever your tuner identifier is and channel_number to a channel that is giving you problems)
cd\program files\silicondust\hdhomerun
hdhomerun_config tuner_id set /tuner0/vchannel channel_number
hdhomerun_config tuner_id save /tuner0 null

Open up a command line prompt (cmd) and run the .bat file. The result will be a series of . . . that start to be written to the screen as you are basically tuned to the channel and the program is monitoring the result. On mine, before I made the port change, I was occasionally seeing . . . . n . . . . in the stream. The "n" identifies a network issue / packet loss, which is what I was seeing on mine. Hold Ctrl-C to terminate the file and you'll get a summary of any issue. I let it run about 10 min in total.

Make the network change (if you can, not sure if your router has this kind of a setting) and rerun the .bat file. See if it improves. It did for me. If this works, hopefully it helps SiliconDust identify the problem and provide a firmware fix. They were able to provide a fix a couple of years ago for this.

Update: It’s still happening, but less frequently (every 15 min maybe). I can see . . . . s . in the stream which is indicates a sequence error (packets arriving out of sequence). Will keep playing with it.
Last edited by Philly4x4 on Sun Nov 08, 2020 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

markfromBrooklyn

Post by markfromBrooklyn »

If setting a port to 10/100 speeds helps, would connecting the device through a 10/100 switch possibly help?

Philly4x4

Post by Philly4x4 »

I would think it would do the same thing, but I didn’t have one to be able to try that.

Jimmersd

Post by Jimmersd »

It would seem this is the same problem reported here. I see it on an XBox One and only on some channels.

viewtopic.php?f=119&t=74529