Trouble getting some channels on my Connect 4k. My TV gets them just fine.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Paul981

Trouble getting some channels on my Connect 4k. My TV gets them just fine.

Post by Paul981 »

I got a Connect 4k to DVR some of the local football games to my NAS. The games generally broadcast on channel 7 and 13 in my area (zip code 98109). My TV with a leaf antenna gets these channels just fine, but the Connect 4k doesn't seem to get those channels. I've tried using the antenna that TV is with the Connect, as well as an alternative leaf antenna; neither work. When I open up hd_homerun_config_gui it looks like the signal strength is reported as being low (image). Is this this just the capriciousness of OTA broadcasts or is there something I can do here?

SageMyth

Re: Trouble getting some channels on my Connect 4k. My TV gets them just fine.

Post by SageMyth »

When you were trying the leaf antenna with your Connect 4k, was the antenna in the same location in your house as it was when used with the TV?
I have found that when I move an antenna from one room to another or even from one corner of a room to a different corner it affects the reception.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Are you using an amplifier with the antenna? Amplified signals tend to overload the HDHomeRun with too much signal (and often introduce RF noise). They're mostly marketing gimmicks for smaller antennas, and you really should only use a signal amplifier when using a long run of coaxial cable (or otherwise needing to compensate for signal loss).

Paul981

Post by Paul981 »

Thanks for the replies guys, it gave me some ideas. I've tried every combination of antenna and location with my Connect, no luck. I might have an answer, though I'm not really sure.

I live in an old apartment. I have my HDHomerun and antenna pluged into the coaxial in the wall that was here when I moved into the place. The Connect is in in my office, and my antenna is in another room ~50-100 feet away with a good vantage point. I assume(d) this coaxial is for cable, and because I have fiber I figured it wasn't being used and would be OK to use for an OTA signal. The TV that is getting the channels I want, on the other hand, is connected directly to its antenna. When moving my antennas around had minimal impact on signal strength (a few channels lost or gained), I started to suspect things weren't wired up the way I thought they were. I unplugged all antennas from the coax, and found I still get most channels on my HDHomerun. So maybe the Connect 4k isn't using the antenna I thought it was. Is it possible the cable in the wall is acting as an antenna, or could this coax system be connected to an antenna somewhere in the apartment?
Last edited by Paul981 on Sun Nov 01, 2020 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Depending how the cable company wired the building, that cable might still be going to the distribution closet with a filter on the line to block all the video frequencies after you cancelled, or it could have been switched to a master antenna system on the roof. If it's really old RG-59 wiring, that can act as a weak antenna too.

Those signal strength percentages in the images you linked to are likely just the RF noise from the cable run. I get similar percentages if I tune it to a channel with no stations broadcasting in the vicinity.