HDHomeRun vs antenna picture quality

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sdg124

HDHomeRun vs antenna picture quality

Post by sdg124 »

I have a 4k Quattro (no atsc 3.0 my area yet) as well as a Prime. I use kodi on a Shield to watch tv. Why is the picture quality of the antenna plugged directly into my tv, better than the picture quality with kodi? Is there a setting in the kodi picture settings that I should shut on/off?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHomeRun vs antenna picture quality

Post by NedS »

There are a number of possible factors. One is that the TV might be applying additional processing to the HDMI input that isn't applied to the internal TV tuner, which is done to "improve" quality, but sometimes does the opposite. A prime example is the "soap opera" effect that some TVs have because they try to do motion smoothing/frame interpolation. Other times it can be a sharpening or color correcting algorithm. So the first step would be to make sure any special enhancements are turned off on the TV itself.

The next step is the Shield. Check the Shield's video output settings, compare with other apps, and see if everything is set correctly. You might be seeing the wrong color profile being used on an HDR TV, for example, and that can make things look very bad.

If all of that looks good, Kodi is the next step to look at. Install the normal HDHomeRun app and see if it is showing a better picture quality than Kodi. If so, I suspect that Kodi has been set to not use hardware video decoding (Should be Kodi -> Settings -> Player Settings -> Video -> Processing -> and two settings under that should both be "on". In theory this won't matter for many types of video, but hardware video decoding will allow access to higher quality de-interlacing on the Shield, and broadcast video is full of interlaced content.

sdg124

Re: HDHomeRun vs antenna picture quality

Post by sdg124 »

Thank you for the thorough response. I believe I narrowed it down to kodi (or perhaps the shield), with its up scaling to 4k. I used the kodi whitelist option to force 1080p 60, instead of 4k 60, and I think it made the picture quality sharper. For now I left the shield at 4k 60.