Dual ethernet ports on computer

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tony-s

Dual ethernet ports on computer

Post by tony-s »

I have a motherboard that has two ethernet ports. I use one port connected for the internet and the other is connected to my HDHomerun. However, none of the other computers in the house can see the HDHR tuner. Is there a specific setting I need to make the HDHR visible to my other computers? Or does it have to be connected directly to a router?

jph1589

Re: Dual ethernet ports on computer

Post by jph1589 »

You might be able to use the network bridge feature in windows???????? Maybe someone can verify if this would work?

nickk
Silicondust

Post by nickk »

Best is to plug the HDHomeRun into your router or into a network switch connected to your router.

Nick

djp952
Device ID: 131EB7F7;131ED0E0

Post by djp952 »

jph1589 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 4:29 pm You might be able to use the network bridge feature in windows???????? Maybe someone can verify if this would work?
I was on travel in Kansas City, MO last year around this time and managed to get the Windows Network Bridge to work to let me use a locally attached HDHomeRun whilst still connected to the Hotel WiFi on my laptop, but it was definitely a "non-trivial" scenario to work through. It also exposed my HDHomeRun to the entire hotel, and at least 2 people took advantage of that on me - ha :) It's definitely possible but I can't say that I recommend it based on the level of difficulty involved and the fact that something as simple as a Windows update or a driver update can destroy your work.

My opinion would be to follow NickK's advice and connect the HDHR to your router, either directly, or indirectly via a switch. It will cause you the least amount of pain.

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

For your situation where you only need it on the laptop, use Internet Connection Sharing. I used that all the time in hotels, and sometimes with a switch to also hook up a Shield or something so I could skip the crappy Dish locals many hotels have. My road trip kit includes a bag with an antenna, a switch, and a power strip though :D.