HDHR5-4DT - 20200907 Firmware Artifacting/Image Corruption

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
Kevinf63

HDHR5-4DT - 20200907 Firmware Artifacting/Image Corruption

Post by Kevinf63 »

Hi all,

Since the 20200907 update, I appear to be experiencing severe image corruption/artifacting no matter the client on my HDHomeRun Connect Quatro (DVB-T/2) model. It seems to be temporarily fixed by powering down and restarting the HDHomeRun device, but I'd have to do this on an hourly basis.

The behavior is quite odd. According to the backend tuner status, the signal quality, Signal Strength and Symbol Quality is 100% and yet the channel's output is heavily corrupted, yet intermittent in nature. Switching to another channel on the same tuner yields different results (perfect reception, occasional stutter, unwatchable). I can have tuner one artifacting badly over HDHomeRun windows app client (Desktop over Ethernet --> Mesh Router --> Modem Router --> HDHomeRun) and then I will start another simultaneous connection to the same channel but on tuner two, which does not exhibit the same problem.

I have not done extensive testing, but I have found so far that any time there has been a problem, it was with tuner one (of four). The HDHomeRun hardware is wired to a Virgin Media Superhub 3 and any clients would be received through a wired-in Netgear Orbi RBK50 mesh router, whether over Ethernet (desktop) or its WiFi mesh of a total 4 hotspots (wireless backhaul system). This is a problem over both ethernet and WiFi client solutions.

Any suggestions or actions I should take to help troubleshoot this?

NedS
Silicondust

Re: HDHR5-4DT - 20200907 Firmware Artifacting/Image Corruption

Post by NedS »

According to the diagnostics from your HDHomeRun (looked it up based on your forum IP address), there's a big RF spike at 498Mhz. Can I have you reboot the HDHomeRun again and perform a manual channel detection? I want to see if the RF activity is still there when freshly rebooted.

Kevinf63

Post by Kevinf63 »

NedS wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:46 pm According to the diagnostics from your HDHomeRun (looked it up based on your forum IP address), there's a big RF spike at 498Mhz. Can I have you reboot the HDHomeRun again and perform a manual channel detection? I want to see if the RF activity is still there when freshly rebooted.
Sorry for not spotting this earlier, thank you for your prompt response! I now have "notify me" turned on for the next reply hopefully. Is there an ideal time that suits you to try this with me so I can action your suggestions in a timely manner? I live in Ireland where the clocks are currently UTC/GMT +0.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Kevinf63 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 pm
NedS wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:46 pm According to the diagnostics from your HDHomeRun (looked it up based on your forum IP address), there's a big RF spike at 498Mhz. Can I have you reboot the HDHomeRun again and perform a manual channel detection? I want to see if the RF activity is still there when freshly rebooted.
Sorry for not spotting this earlier, thank you for your prompt response! I now have "notify me" turned on for the next reply hopefully. Is there an ideal time that suits you to try this with me so I can action your suggestions in a timely manner? I live in Ireland where the clocks are currently UTC/GMT +0.
Anytime, as I will be able to see when the unit reboots in the logs. Just reply back when you've rebooted and done another channel scan.

Kevinf63

Post by Kevinf63 »

NedS wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:31 pm
Kevinf63 wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:52 pm
Anytime, as I will be able to see when the unit reboots in the logs. Just reply back when you've rebooted and done another channel scan.
Thanks NedS, I've rebooted my HDHomeRun as instructed and under channel lineup, I clicked "detect channels" with the dropdown option set to "Antenna" (DVB-T/2 area). The scan has now complete.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

That weird RF spike is still there, so that seems consistent. I still suspect that is the cause for the trouble, as it is so close to two transmitter frequencies, but I'm not sure why rebooting the unit would have any impact on that. Let me see what I can find out about this.

Kevinf63

Post by Kevinf63 »

NedS wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:16 pm That weird RF spike is still there, so that seems consistent. I still suspect that is the cause for the trouble, as it is so close to two transmitter frequencies, but I'm not sure why rebooting the unit would have any impact on that. Let me see what I can find out about this.
@NedS Could be related, I've used TVHeadEnd as my server between a HDHomeRun and another DVB-S2 device. I found that when my parents decided to watch the same show, one upstairs and one downstairs the Signal Strength, Signal Quality and Symbol Quality all began to fluctuate rapidly up and down as soon as my Dad started watching upstairs.

Upon checking the connections at my Connect Quatro's tuners.html page you can see only tuner 0 is in use, likely because it's the same channel, same modulation and resource locked to one IP address (TVHeadEnd server). In contrast, if I connect to the same channel again (3 connections simultaneously) through VLC using the lineup.html channel links, you can see tuner 1 being used correctly. Would this put significant strain on the single tuner?