HDHomeRun Prime compatible with new Cox upgrades?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
patl

Re: HDHomeRun Prime compatible with new Cox upgrades?

Post by patl »

I will search for the old Vista tools. I am not worried about prior recordings as much as I am that I can no longer record anything so I'm focused on fixing the DRM problem. Not sure I know haw to answer your other question re: h.264. Cox guys have spent many hours on this and tell me they have not changed the encryption method at all. No other changes coincident with the problem that is only on my Win 7 machine (not Win 10)

foxbat121
Device ID: 131087C9, 13233B7C

Post by foxbat121 »

All you need is a standalone video card. As mentioned before, H.264 + DRM + Intel integrated GPU + WMC = never will work, nor your Ceton extenders. It is well known for quite a few years now when Comcast first rolled out the similar 'upgrade'.

Get an nVidia or AMD video card will solve your WMC PC problem but there is no solution to your Ceton extender as the company was out of business for a long time.

Prime and HDHR apps are fine. I can even watch H.265 4K channels with HLG HDR just fine. But the DVR won't work for DRM channels.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10A05954 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

By the way intel did fix sandy to possibly work with protected h.264 but not my later models but I haven't seen that fix around for a long time and it didn't work with comcast but did work in my cox market (other markets it didn't) and my ceton extenders work with protected h.264 in my market as well.

At this time it isn't clear what trouble this person is having as it may not be what the OP and thread title were mentioning as they may not have had a bunch of channels marked in the scan as AVC (which would denote h.264 though some on WMC may never run a scan on the device to pick that up). Personally I would look at other security type things on the win 7 PC as I have only had to use the tool with a serious hardware change.

I strongly suggest looking over at thegreenbutton.tv such as https://thegreenbutton.tv/forums/viewto ... f=5&t=3760
note many of the earlier posts suggest the reset tool you are looking for.... look at later posts if that is indeed what you want to do (again I would look at other things first).

tghowe

Post by tghowe »

So I got this same email from Cox. I updated both HDHR-Primes and verified I can play their test channel (1987) in Plex and thru the HDHR app, but I cannot even browse the channel in WMC. I'm using EPG123 for the WMC guide and after updating and refreshing the listings, the test channel still doesn't show up.

Most recorded shows are DRM. Does this mean my Win7 WMC setup is most likely doomed?

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

WMC on Win7/8 will continue to work for those channels if your WMC PC has a non-Intel GPU (strongly recommend NVIDIA) AND you only watch on the PC, not an extender. If you're trying to watch on an Intel GPU or an extender, it won't work. Even if your PC is currently using Intel Graphics, as long as it has an open PCI Express slot, you should be able to add a separate video card (I like the GeForce GT 1030) and connect your monitor to that and have things work. Remember you still need to use DVI or HDMI, not DisplayPort or VGA.

DeMannequin

Post by DeMannequin »

Hi cejack,

I just moved to Las Vegas and is trying to setup HDHomerun Prime. I can't get HDHomerun Prime to scan any channel.

Do you have a Tuning Adapter in your setup or just the HDHomerun Prime with the CableCard?

Thanks,
DeMannequin
cejack wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm I just got the same message here in Las Vegas from Cox.

So if I read this correctly, the HDHR Prime Units are compatible with MPEG4?

The letter mentions, "Check your device's owner's manual to see if any update to MPEG4 is supported. If so, just update."

Just wondering if my HDHR Prime units with a Cable Card are going the way of the dinosaur or if they will continue working here after this change by Cox.

-cejack

s230914

Post by s230914 »

Hi. Posted this in the wrong thread, obviously. So I'm posting it here again. I'm running 2 TiVos now and no issues with watching or recording. I'm beginning to suspect a software/firmware issue here.

I'm brand new to this forum. Just installed my Prime this weekend and had the existing card & T/A paired earlier today.

I'm having a similar problem with Cox in Gilbert. This is a card that was already activated, but paired (along with a Tuning Adapter) with a TiVo. After the everything was properly paired by someone that actually seemed to know what they were doing, I was able to scan all the channels, however only a handful showed up in Plex. I went to check the channels on the card, and all of the missing channels were marked DRM. Virtually all of the channels on the Cox cable are DRM? Is that possible? This card and T/A combo worked fine in my TiVo, even my Hockey Package came through. Other than trying a new card, which I am loathe to do, I'm looking for some other trouble shooting ideas to try first. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the changes they made at the end of the month. I got a notice and tested the tivo's and they worked fine, and still do. Is there something else that I can try besides re-booting everything? It seems odd that when I first went through the process the card was not paired and same channels that were available without the card and T/A were still there, but seems none of the other channels came through as non-DRM.

TIA

Ken

jasonl
Expert

Post by jasonl »

Cox DRMs all "cable" channels and they will not be available in Plex or other apps that don't support DRM.

cejack

Post by cejack »

I have a tuning adapter and I'm only using the HD Homerun App from MS Store or from Apple Store (on Ipad) or on Android (my Samsung phone).

I don't think you want to bother with the old stuff like WMC on Windows 7.

I don't think it will work without a tuning adapter for Cox in Las Vegas if I've heard and read everything accurately.

Contour works fairly well, too. One thing that would be great is if we could send chromecast video from HD Homerun app in Windows.
DeMannequin wrote: Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:04 am Hi cejack,

I just moved to Las Vegas and is trying to setup HDHomerun Prime. I can't get HDHomerun Prime to scan any channel.

Do you have a Tuning Adapter in your setup or just the HDHomerun Prime with the CableCard?

Thanks,
DeMannequin
cejack wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:04 pm I just got the same message here in Las Vegas from Cox.

So if I read this correctly, the HDHR Prime Units are compatible with MPEG4?

The letter mentions, "Check your device's owner's manual to see if any update to MPEG4 is supported. If so, just update."

Just wondering if my HDHR Prime units with a Cable Card are going the way of the dinosaur or if they will continue working here after this change by Cox.

-cejack

MrOllie75

Post by MrOllie75 »

I got a letter today in Norfolk, VA. Last week I update to the latest firmware. I had no problem with my Sony (Android TV) which was a headache a year ago. (lock ups, end of stream errors etc.) I was able to tune the 1987 channel. I have two HomeRun Primes and a Samsung Cablecard STB on my bedroom TV. I am using Apple TV, NVIDIA Shield and KODI On my PC with three TVs in the Man Cave (Mostly for Sports). It all works fine. It would be nice if Samsung could have a Home Run App like it used to. I do have an older Samsung 40 inch that has a Home run App in the kid's bedroom.

UPDATE!!
I can no longer tune DRM channels unless I am on my PC or my Sony Android TV. I am ready to ditch Cox. Is SiliconDust still offering to swap HD Prime for an OTA device??
Last edited by MrOllie75 on Mon May 24, 2021 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

MrOllie75 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 3:00 pmKODI On my PC
Unfortunately Kodi is not going to work for DRM protected channels since it's open source software that will never be CableLabs certified.

I'm guessing Cox isn't including DRM protection on that H264 test channel, which is giving people the false impression that everything will work, even though supporting DRM protected H264 has very different hardware and software requirements compared to what's needed to support non-DRM H264.

guy451

Post by guy451 »

I can offer this:
I live in Orange County, CA and got a letter from Cox today saying I need to test channel 1987. I'll lose channels in May if it doesn't work.

Mine works.
I've got a HDHomeRun Prime with a cable card in it. It's plugged into a device provided by Cox (and I pay for monthly). It's a Motoroloa MTR700.

I had to get it when they went all digital and the HDHomeRun wouldn't be able to tune into the normal over-the-air channels.

kyl416
Device ID: 1080DB11

Post by kyl416 »

Here's the problem you might run into. In most other cities the test channel wasn't DRM protected, giving people the false impression that they are good to go, but when the switch happened they implemented DRM protection on most of the channels, breaking compatibility with 3rd party viewing software like Kodi, Plex, VLC and Roku.

jachin99

Post by jachin99 »

They DRM'd everything this morning so I had to cancel cable.

testwerke

Post by testwerke »

I just tried to tune to any channel (outside basic cable channels) and they all fail to find a stream.

Did a channel detect and only the basic cable channels show up now.

Guess I was also affected by this DRM garbage? Any other options are out there?