HDHR5-4K and HDHR3-US Dual Questions

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
wagman67

HDHR5-4K and HDHR3-US Dual Questions

Post by wagman67 »

I have the following:
1 New HDHR5-4K on Firmware 20201015
1 Prime on Firmware 20200907
2 HDHR3-US Duals on Firmware 20200225

Should I expect the firmware on all of these to be at 20201015?

When I go to the My HDHomerun page and click on each:

I can see multiple links on both the Prime and 4K, including a channels list.

On the Duals pages, I only see Download drivers and Installation instructions...the first takes me to a downloads page which say the current build is 20200907, but will only let me download version 20201015. The later link just takes me back to the My HDHomerun page.

After I download, install and run the latest (20201015) software: the only one that has been updated to 20201015 is the 4K.
The Duals are on the same antenna, but the 4k is on a different antenna.
When I run a scan, I get a different number of channels for the Duals (which get the same channels as each other) and the 4k, as expected. But, the lists for each are the same in the config program, even though they each pick up different channels. On the My HDHomerun page, they list a different number of channels for each (again, as expected).
I can go the the channels list page, for the 4K, but there is no channels list page for the Duals.

Aside from the 4K, I have been using these devices for years, but I confess to being confused by which firmware the Duals should be on and why there is no channels list page for them, as it is clear the list that is in the config program is not correct for the Duals.

Also, on the 4k, there are two ATSC 3.0 actual channels broadcasting in my area (broadcasting at least 5 channels), but I cannot pick any up. I have used 2 different antennas and have good reception on all the channels in my area, so what's up? Am I missing something in the setup? I see no channels listed as HEVC or ATSC 3.0...the 2 actual channels are 21 and 30, but I don't see them.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: HDHR5-4K and HDHR3-US Dual Questions

Post by signcarver »

Firnware versions sound correct as legacy products don't really need any more updates. Since September only the 4k has needed updates.

The duals are legacy tuners and don't maintain their own lineup. The recent firmwares allow a "hack" that a scan from a recent setup program on a windows pc informs SD of the lineup and the device points to SD to retrieve it. If you retrieve it's discover.json it should give you the lineup url to see its lineup.

As for not seeing ATSC 3 0 channels make sure you list location as there are many configurations the broadcasters can use and as a result very few cities have channels showing up from the scan. Portland got lucky in that they had a person with other equipment do a capture. I believe with the updated firmware one might be able to do a similar capture on a dev unit.

wagman67

Re: HDHR5-4K and HDHR3-US Dual Questions

Post by wagman67 »

signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm Firnware versions sound correct as legacy products don't really need any more updates. Since September only the 4k has needed updates.
That is what I was thinking, but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.
signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm The duals are legacy tuners and don't maintain their own lineup. The recent firmwares allow a "hack" that a scan from a recent setup program on a windows pc informs SD of the lineup and the device points to SD to retrieve it. If you retrieve it's discover.json it should give you the lineup url to see its lineup.
I will give that a try.
signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 7:25 pm As for not seeing ATSC 3 0 channels make sure you list location as there are many configurations the broadcasters can use and as a result very few cities have channels showing up from the scan. Portland got lucky in that they had a person with other equipment do a capture. I believe with the updated firmware one might be able to do a similar capture on a dev unit.
I am in the Nashville market. From what I had read, elsewhere, I was expecting to see HEVC on the Channels List page or ATSC 3.0 on the Tuner properties page.

Thanks, for the input.