Chromecast with Google TV

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
mobilelawyer

Chromecast with Google TV

Post by mobilelawyer »

My best recollection is that HD Homerun was working on this new device when I initially installed it. It is not working now. The app opens and displays the following on any channel selected for viewing:
Unable to play channels
(android) audio playback
failed.

I have toggled the button to allow AC3 pass through on the Homerun software to no avail.

Also, when a recorded file is selected to playback in the HD Homerun software, the window suddenly closes and nothing is played.

My HD Homerun tuners are visible to all devices on my home network and working fine on other dongles and devices on my network- just not the new Chromecast. My HD Homerun Prime and Quatro tuners firmware has been updated to the latest version (20200907), and a new update to the Chromecast was applied today. The update is not the culprit as the problem was in evidence before the device updated.

Any ideas?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Chromecast with Google TV

Post by signcarver »

No problems here even after the update that I did just a few minutes ago (I do suggest rebooting the chromecast after any such update - Settings, System, Restart).

I have done 2 things to the device that others probably have not done but I don't think it would make a difference as I haven't really heard of any other people having problems (other than maybe needing to install live channels). First I had set the output to 1080p as that appeared to make some deinterlace issues I was seeing at 4k disappear. Second I also disabled surround sound (set to never) as it isn't really applicable to the room my chromecast is in and in my opinion makes the volume a little bit louder on some channels which helps me out.

What is interesting is that the error you are seeing seems more in line with what people on android devices reported with new ATSC 3.0 stations that use AC4 audio but that would only be an issue on those channels.

mobilelawyer

Post by mobilelawyer »

I am using the Chromecast with Google TV dongle with an older Samsung plasma. I disabled surround sound and now the HD Homerun app is working like a charm. Thanks for that suggestion.

sccrgoalie1

Post by sccrgoalie1 »

signcarver wrote: Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:12 pm No problems here even after the update that I did just a few minutes ago (I do suggest rebooting the chromecast after any such update - Settings, System, Restart).

I have done 2 things to the device that others probably have not done but I don't think it would make a difference as I haven't really heard of any other people having problems (other than maybe needing to install live channels). First I had set the output to 1080p as that appeared to make some deinterlace issues I was seeing at 4k disappear. Second I also disabled surround sound (set to never) as it isn't really applicable to the room my chromecast is in and in my opinion makes the volume a little bit louder on some channels which helps me out.

What is interesting is that the error you are seeing seems more in line with what people on android devices reported with new ATSC 3.0 stations that use AC4 audio but that would only be an issue on those channels.
Disabling surround sound worked for me as well. Thanks!