How to use connect duo during internet outage

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
ctem81

How to use connect duo during internet outage

Post by ctem81 »

Recently lost power and internet due to a storm. Have a standby generator and was able to get my WiFi network back up and basics around the house powered up. Unfortunately internet was still out most likely due to batteries on the poles being depleted that power the HFC nodes. Anyways figured I could still at least watch OTA tv since I have an antenna and power. That wasn’t the case. Tried opening the homerun app on my iPhone and it would never connect. I believe there is something trying to download every time you open the app. Needless to say this was a disappointment.

How can we use the connect duo during internet outages? Is it even possible?

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: How to use connect duo during internet outage

Post by signcarver »

Use any app not from SD as SD's apps (currently) require it get the UI from the internet.

rpcameron

Post by rpcameron »

Channels iOS app is free, and supports HDHomeRun tuners. You may not get guide data without and internet connection, but it will play the streams without internet.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

VLC is a good one that supports most platforms, is free and open source, and the HDHomeRun will show up as a network source/UPnP device in VLC.

scyto

Post by scyto »

I am evaluating my HDHR once again now the Quattro4k arrived to see how it might impact my use of CATV / the vendor that shall not be named.
I never knew this, caching some period of UI and guide data would seem essential for WAF.

Over the last 6 months i have several days without internet, never once lost ability to watch OTA or CATV.

This goes in the -1 column compared to the vendor that shall not be named.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

Adding a better offline mode (we had one before, but it was broken) is definitely on the list for us.

ctem81

Post by ctem81 »

Thank you all for the replies.

One idea I had. For devices that have dual access methods via wifi and cellular data is it possible to make the homerun app smart enough to determine that there is no internet via wifi and then re-route external data requests out the LTE connection? Or is that not possible with IOS devices?