received the Quatro 4K; already have an Extend--how to prioritize device/tuner?

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
vexingv

received the Quatro 4K; already have an Extend--how to prioritize device/tuner?

Post by vexingv »

(not sure if this belongs in the ATSC 3.0 forum, please move there if more appropriate)

Subject speaks for itself.

I already have an HDHomeRun Extend and just received (and connected) the Quatro 4K ATSC 3.0 tuner. I am in the Bay Area/CA/Silicon Valley, which does not have any ATSC 3.0 broadcasts at this point so I cannot take advantage of those new features yet. However, my Extend still allows me to transcode, which the Quatro does not. Each HDHomeRun device has a static IP address on my network. How do I prioritize or pick which device/tuner is selected? I use Plex DVR for recording purposes and have added the new Quatro 4K to it. Live viewing is usually done locally via Nvidia Shield or mobile devices (using the official HDHR client for each platform) although I will also use Plex for tuning remotely outside of my local network. I've noticed that with one stream, the Quatro 4K's Tuner #2 is selected (however, i thought that the Quatro 4K Tuner #0 and Tuner #1 still supported ATSC 1.0?). Since I do have the Extend, which can transcode, I'd like to pick it, for example, if I'm viewing remotely or if i'm viewing via mobile devices to reduce network bandwidth/data. Likewise, once ATSC 3.0 broadcasts do become available in my area, how do i select (or know) the appropriate ATSC 3.0 broadcast is viewed and not the ATSC 1.0 signal that is also simulcast?

One other thing i noticed, interestingly, the Extend picked up more channels after scanning than the 4K (101 vs 87 channels)--same antenna on a two-way coax splitter.

JDazell

Re: received the Quatro 4K; already have an Extend--how to prioritize device/tuner?

Post by JDazell »

vexingv,

Out of curiosity, did you re-scan on the Extend after inserting the 2-way splitter? If not that may be the disparity in channel count. Or the Extend tuner is just a tad bit more sensitive.

vexingv

Re: received the Quatro 4K; already have an Extend--how to prioritize device/tuner?

Post by vexingv »

JDazell wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:05 am vexingv,

Out of curiosity, did you re-scan on the Extend after inserting the 2-way splitter? If not that may be the disparity in channel count. Or the Extend tuner is just a tad bit more sensitive.
hmm. i just rescanned both devices now; Extend and 4K both have the same number of detected channels (96). I am using a small flat Antenna Direct antenna hanging by my window. My Extend was originally one of the first generation ones (plastic case and fan) that I sent in for a case retrofit so I'm not sure which generation it is at this point.

playing around with viewing more channels this morning, it seems random which device gets tuned.