Missing Channels

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
twos50

Missing Channels

Post by twos50 »

I'm missing several subscribed channels using HDHR-3 Prime for ex. 229,384. How can I get them back? I've tried detecting channels several times but it always seem to miss it.

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Missing Channels

Post by signcarver »

First check if the channels show up at all in the map by adding ?show=all at the end of the LineupURL http://<ip-of tuner>/lineup.html?show=all (I personally prefer using the lineup.json rather than lineup.html)... If it shows up there, I would try to open the stream in VLC (copy the URL to play another channel and adjust the channel number in it i.e. (http://<ip-of-tuner>:5004/auto/v229) if that plays it is an issue detecting it in the scan.

Second what provider and location as I know a few providers recently eliminated some channels (i.e. I think I read fios eliminated some att sportsnet channels) and comcast in chicago has been having some issues with detecting a few channels.

Edit:A couple of other possible things the channel is DRM and the card isn't properly validated. A few may use the prime without cablecard and the particular channel is encrypted.

twos50

Post by twos50 »

What's funny is that I have a "spare" HDHR3-PRIME that I took the cable card out of. Then called into xfinity to "pair" it with the "spare" hdhr3 and now it's picking up all the channels. The firmware is 20170930. I'm now afraid to upload with the new firmware.
Not sure what to do now.

JimJ

Post by JimJ »

Signcarver:
I appreciated your message showing how to play a missing channel in VLC. I've got at least 4 channels that are unreliably detected, i.e., in successive scans, they are detected only sometimes, and I don't think they have ever been all detected on one scan. HOWEVER, THEY ARE ALL RELIABLY PLAYABLE IN VLC!

You say that indicates "an issue detecting it in the scan." OK, so what's the next step? How should I get them all into the lineup at once? These are successive channels in the scan (10, 11, 13, 14), and I have a sneaking suspicion that the detection of one negatively affects the detection of the next one.

Jim

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Post by signcarver »

You don't (other than another scan). Scanning is "never" 100% accurate but unfortunately SD's software requires such. I tried to lead a crusade to ban the scan years ago but noone seemed interested in joining the cause.

I do suggest making sure signal is between +/- 7 and depending on system an lte or moca filter (lte sometimes goes/blocks too low for cable) as sometimes harmonics cause issues.

In some cases a new/better power supply will help as the scan typically pushes ones that are starting to fail to its limits.

scotty71

Post by scotty71 »

Since upgrading firmware to 20200907, I am missing around 15 channels. I uninstalled the hdhomerun software that included the latest firmware and installed an earlier version of software and that's when I was able to view them. Odd thing is, sometimes I can view them and sometimes not. They are not there now and a scan does not detect them. I know they are available because I can viewview them with my set top box.

I am running windows 7 so I suspected that was a reason, but I can't view them on my Win10 laptop either.

Thanks for assistance.

NedS
Silicondust

Post by NedS »

scotty71 wrote: Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:50 pm Since upgrading firmware to 20200907, I am missing around 15 channels. I uninstalled the hdhomerun software that included the latest firmware and installed an earlier version of software and that's when I was able to view them. Odd thing is, sometimes I can view them and sometimes not. They are not there now and a scan does not detect them. I know they are available because I can viewview them with my set top box.

I am running windows 7 so I suspected that was a reason, but I can't view them on my Win10 laptop either.

Thanks for assistance.
Interesting, that sounds like an issue with the BDA software rather than the actual firmware on the PRIME.

JimJ

Post by JimJ »

Signcarver: Thanks for the comments and suggestions.

scotty71

Post by scotty71 »

I updated all the software on my Win10 laptop and did a channel scan and the same channels are still missing. The BDA is in default mode. I manually entered a channel into the network stream in VLC and it wouldn't play that way either.

Thanks.

scotty71

Post by scotty71 »

This morning I did another channel scan and all the missing channels were back. There was no guide data for them so i sent a reset to the prime and that brought back the guide.

Now at 5:00 PM local, all the missing channels are gone again. They are there because I can see on set top box.

Guess I will send in a ticket.

scotty71

Post by scotty71 »

The missing channels all have one thing in common. They are also OTA channels.