Cablecard Future Support

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
KeithAbbott

Cablecard Future Support

Post by KeithAbbott »

So with the recent announcement that cable operators are no longer required to support cable cards, I have seen several posts suggesting that cable operators will likely continue to support them for the foreseeable future, since cable cards are built in to most of the cable boxes in use today. That made me feel a little better that I may get a few more years of use out of the two Primes that I own.

However, the more I got to thinking about it, I came to the realization that the cable operators could decide to change the DRM flags from "copy freely" to "copy once". This would virtually eliminate having to support any cable card equipment that was not issued by themselves. This change could be done relatively quickly, and relatively inexpensively compared to swapping out thousands of cable boxes. This could be a first step of many that they will face to eliminate the need for cable cards.

So I'm looking for people who are more expert than I in this technology to weigh in whether this is a possibility, and maybe if this seems likely to happen or not. TIA

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Re: Cablecard Future Support

Post by Ken.F »

Setting everything to copy once won't change anything. HDHomeRun can play and WMC can play and record copy once so there isn't any incentive for them to change it.