HDHR4-2US LED flash patterns after firmware 20200907

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
tvparty2nite

HDHR4-2US LED flash patterns after firmware 20200907

Post by tvparty2nite »

Yesterday I updated our HDHR4-2US to firmware 20200907. Since then, the two LEDs have been flashing in different patterns for reasons I can’t figure out:
  • All off
  • Left on, right flashing
  • Both flashing together
  • Both flashing, one after the other, in turn
The only LED pattern documented on the SiliconDust support website for this model is that if the left LED is flashing, the unit is not getting an IP address from the router. But that's not a problem here. In fact, the unit appears to be working perfectly, with no problems watching live TV through multiple desktop and mobile applications, and no problems recording with EyeTV scheduling.

That is the question: Why are the LEDs flashing undocumented patterns when the unit appears to be working perfectly? Is this anything new with the 20200907 firmware? Should I be concerned, or just enjoy the light show? :)

I can’t figure out how the LED patterns correlate to events like recording, watching live TV, or idle, because it could be any of those LED flashing patterns at any time. And anyway I wouldn’t expect the unit to know what downstream devices are doing with the signal.

nickk
Silicondust

Re: HDHR4-2US LED flash patterns after firmware 20200907

Post by nickk »

What app do you use to watch or record from the HDHomeRun?

(Thinking the app may not be fully releasing the tuner)

tvparty2nite

Post by tvparty2nite »

We use EyeTV 3.6.9 on macOS.

That isn't the latest version of the software, but it is the last minor revision of that major version. I am holding it at that version because it's a known stable combination with the HDHR4-2US on the version of macOS that Mac is on. Recording has been rock solid reliable with this configuration for years, and it still works perfectly despite the odd light patterns.

If the app is not fully releasing the tuner, shouldn't that correlate to a single light pattern indicating that specific condition? That's what confuses me about this; it flashes multiple different undocumented patterns.

And if the app is not fully releasing the tuner, shouldn't there be a problem recording at some point? We record across four different channels with only the two tuners on the HDHR4-2US, so if channels weren't being released at some point it would not be able to tune to a different channel. But it still works perfectly. From what I remember, checking the tuner status directly (HTTP into the HDHR4-2US) when the lights are flashing doesn't turn up any error messages.

I hope that additional info helps isolate what's going on with the lights. I've updated the firmware numerous times since purchase, and have never seen this before.

TAL6689

Post by TAL6689 »

I’m having the exact same issue since the last firmware update. I’m using both the 32 and 64-bit versions of EyeTV and the latest HDHomeRun IOS app on an iPad and iPhone. The performance remains unaffected. I would think many users are having the same issue.

Bubbster

Post by Bubbster »

I can recreate this by using VLC then closing it. Win10 x64, same tuner, same firmware. Yesterday it was both tuner lights blinking, today it's just one, likely because I quickly only used 1 tuner to test today.

VLC is started from the HDHR setup app Digital Antenna Tab.

Bubbster

Post by Bubbster »

Bubbster wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:19 am I can recreate this by using VLC then closing it. Win10 x64, same tuner, same firmware. Yesterday it was both tuner lights blinking, today it's just one, likely because I quickly only used 1 tuner to test today.

VLC is started from the HDHR setup app Digital Antenna Tab.
Several hours later (not using) I noticed both tuner lights flashing for a couple of minutes. No idea why.

Ken.F
Device ID: 1041A706, 1043EB32, 104BAD9E, 13168DC5, 1322A7AC

Post by Ken.F »

Bubbster wrote: Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:29 am Several hours later (not using) I noticed both tuner lights flashing for a couple of minutes. No idea why.
It was probably doing a channel scan.