HDHomeRun EXTEND HDTC-2US Daytime Tuning Issues

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
aknisely@gmail.com

HDHomeRun EXTEND HDTC-2US Daytime Tuning Issues

Post by aknisely@gmail.com »

Hello,

This is my first time posting on the forums. I've been having some issues with by HDHomeRun Extend (HDTC-2US) purchased a few years ago with channels going in and out during the day. Channels come in crystal clear at night, and signal quality levels are all good. I thought the issue may have been related to the power supply I had with my extend, so I purchased a new one last week. I don't have any signal quality issues using a regular TV using the same RG6 connection.

For instance, my strongest channel (KDKA) has 68% Quality and 58% Strength, but will cut out an pixilate while watching. On the other hand, WTRF is crystal clear during the day at 50% Quality and 41% Strength.

Equipment:

HDHomeRun Extend HDTC-2US
Stellar Labs Yagi Antenna (30-2370)

TVFool Report: http://www.tvfool.com/?option=com_wrapp ... 179288b5c5

I have my antenna aimed at 27 degrees true north and the only channel I can't get is WPCW. Any feedback from the community would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Dalhia2019

Re: HDHomeRun EXTEND HDTC-2US Daytime Tuning Issues

Post by Dalhia2019 »

I can only add that I haven’t been able to make sense out of signal quality readings and hiccups. Sometimes with a signal quality of 100 I get slight hiccups. No change on the signal gh app. I have been monitoring signal gh app over the last week. Not sure how accurate it is. Your numbers are on the low side. I have read that quality and not strength is the important number. I can tell you these tuners are very sensitive to two things; overload and multipath.

aknisely@gmail.com

Re: HDHomeRun EXTEND HDTC-2US Daytime Tuning Issues

Post by aknisely@gmail.com »

Thanks, Dalhia2019. I also tried putting a three-way splitter (with two ends capped) in-between the cable coming in and the HDHomeRun to try and reduce the overall signal strength level. There are a couple channels, like WINP that have half the power of KDKA, but are transmitting from the same location. Without the splitter, KDKA is near 90-100% signal strength and similar signal quality. Should I try an attenuator instead of a splitter? Or maybe I should switch to a four-bay type antenna over the Yagi? I'm also at the bottom of a medium hill with about ~120ft of additional terrain height between my location and the transmitter.