Beginner question, I want to make the right purchase and not regret or spend for nothing.

Reception, channel detection, network issues, CableCARD setup, etc.
sebd8

Beginner question, I want to make the right purchase and not regret or spend for nothing.

Post by sebd8 »

Hello,

I notice that currently, only CONNECT, SCRIBE or SERVIO are available.
Someone told me about the EXTEND, but it no longer seems to exist. However, I was able to make a purchase from the Dell site for a EXTEND, although the delivery date was delayed by a month.
From what I understood from this model is that it is the EXTEND which does the transfer to an external / network NAS and also allows to convert to H.264 format, I'm right?

Knowing that I want to record on a NAS and build my own PLEX server :

Question 1: is it possible to transfer recordings from SERVIO to external storage (eg NAS, hard drive, etc.)?
Question 2: It is possible to share recordings that are stored on my SERVIO and share it from my PLEX SERVER directly?
Question 3: Do people have similar configurations, either with SCRIBE DUO or CONNECT + SERVIO and tell me more?

Thank you for your help :)

signcarver
Expert
Device ID: 10802091 131B34B7 13231F92 1070A18E 1073ED6F 15300C36

Re: Beginner question, I want to make the right purchase and not regret or spend for nothing.

Post by signcarver »

If your intention is plex don't go for scribe/servio.

Though they have stated a future firmware may make files they record more easily accessible, currently there is no easy way to get a file (other than http download) and to get a multi GB file over a 100Mbps port is painfully slow.

Personally I would get a connect quatro over an extend and have a good enough server to do the transcoding as though many enjoy the transcoding of the extend, i find it too picky of signal quality when it is set to transcode and as a result most that I know with an extend nearly never use its transcoding abilities. A quatro is usually cheaper and would provide 4 tuners rather than 2.